Proof that new bike technology is rubbish. Disk brakes.

tintin40":2esor96c said:
. And the wet & mud disc are good. But in the dry they are ott. Don't forget cycling fitness is more important that the bike. it all about the rider

That is enough reason to use disc brake unless one builds up garage queens to look at and stroke. It's not the bike nor the ride but all about riding, whether it rains or shines.

tintin40":dqf7ong8 said:
And the wet & mud disc are good. But in the dry they are ott. But then I'm not a head case down hill nutter. like many on this site that I've watched on meets. Next year the sales man will think of anther product you can't ride with out. Don't forget cycling fitness is more important that the bike. it all about the rider

The XTR V's on my retro bike are perfectly capable of throwing me over the bars / locking up the rear at any speed I wish in the dry, just like the Hope discs on my modern bike can do, but when it comes to things like feel and modulation the hydraulic disks are literally from a different century.

I don't buy any of the latest spiel such as tapered steerers, 35mm bar clamps and 27.5" wheels etc being noticeably better than what went before, but disc brakes have been a huge upgrade over rim brakes and probably the biggest improvement to MTB's of yore after suspension. If you don't believe me then maybe you should try them.

Hydraulic disc brakes have been around a while for bicycles, in fact some 40 years. Not last year or last week as some marketing or magazines may try to have some believe.

Theres nothing wrong with rim brakes as much as theres nothing wrong with discs. Both had their howlers ('composite' pistons expanding and seizing or dodgy materials snapping mid ride) but cable operated systems have a convenience that means that they can be fixed very quickly and easily - especially if money is tight or you are out in the middle of nowhere.

As before, the video is a bit of fun as with most 'destructibles' stuff.

Fudd":bve1rldx said:
tintin40":bve1rldx said:
And the wet & mud disc are good. But in the dry they are ott. But then I'm not a head case down hill nutter. like many on this site that I've watched on meets. Next year the sales man will think of anther product you can't ride with out. Don't forget cycling fitness is more important that the bike. it all about the rider

The XTR V's on my retro bike are perfectly capable of throwing me over the bars / locking up the rear at any speed I wish in the dry, just like the Hope discs on my modern bike can do, but when it comes to things like feel and modulation the hydraulic disks are literally from a different century.

I don't buy any of the latest spiel such as tapered steerers, 35mm bar clamps and 27.5" wheels etc being noticeably better than what went before, but disc brakes have been a huge upgrade over rim brakes and probably the biggest improvement to MTB's of yore after suspension. If you don't believe me then maybe you should try them.

BINGO! I love my V brakes as much as the next guy but there's no denying that hydro discs are superior (other than setup/maintenance!). Good when wet or dry and can stop you on a dime, but the real advantage is the lever feel and modulation. Before discs you had stop or go, now we have that and everything in between.

Re:

Rim breaks actually wear down the wheel until it is structurally unsound and collapses. You then have to buy and build a new one (and patch up any injuries you may have suffered along the way) The logic is completely daft.

This is it for me and if you knock a wheel out of true you dont have to loosen brakes off with discs

Most of my bikes have rim brakes BTW but if you are talking about which is best its discs.

cvdubya":1q8sq852 said:
Fudd":1q8sq852 said:
tintin40":1q8sq852 said:

BINGO! I love my V brakes as much as the next guy but there's no denying that hydro discs are superior (other than setup/maintenance!). Good when wet or dry and can stop you on a dime, but the real advantage is the lever feel and modulation. Before discs you had stop or go, now we have that and everything in between.
Stop and go is good for me.....I either want to be going and then stopping. Simples. :D

There's pros and cons to all brakes IMO. Canti's can be adjusted to feel how you want, but lack overall power, crap in the wet and can be fiddly to set up. V-brakes are simple to set up, slightly more braking force than canti's, still crap in the wet and obviously like canti's wear the rim out with use and don't like buckled wheels. Maguras are a pain to set up (although once done it's done), pretty powerful but lack modulation and still have the rim issues, cable discs are generally a bit of a pain to set up and need constant fettling, but are more powerful and avoid the rim issues. Hydro discs, once the initial set up is done (which is slighty more hassle than a V-brake but far less than the others) you just need to replace pads every so often, far more powerful and better modulation, loads better in the wet, however pads are more expensive and proprietary to each system, if they go wrong it'll probably cost a bit!

Re:

I used Vs for years and thought my M970/Crossmax Ceramic set up was unbeatable,that was until I went dabbling in the odd race.In 2008 there was a tiny few guys with Vs.In 2009 I was the only one in the starting line with them.I was astonished when I changed over how good discs are in the mud and how reliable they are.Vs are great in the dry but in this climate of ours cant hold a candle to hydro discs.One thing I dont miss about my Vs were the constant adjustment/checking every few weeks.Discs are fit and forget.

Back