15g (1.8mm) Plain Stainless Steel spokes???

northy

Dirt Disciple
Hello all

Does anyone know of a plain (Non double butted) 15g spoke (1.8mm) in stainless steel that is available to buy for a 1994 MTB?

I need them in a 266mm lengths

Re:

Ive tried searching but have still drawn a blank

Can anyone help post a link direct to some spokes i can buy please?

iscervo":b7e67pa8 said:
Why do you specifically need 1.8mm plain gauge spokes ?.

Was just wondering that too, extreme adherence to factory spec?! Butted spokes are lighter AND stronger, and apparently easier to find...

I was after them as thats what the bike had from new. Although i am replacing all of them i just wanted a like for like. Didnt know they were so hard to get till i started to look.

Apparently they have a finer thread that was prone to thread stripping in the alloy nipples. Think its best to play safe & go for 2.0mm plain gauge or butted.

Re:

shame really

Ive had these wheels 23 years and only now are the spokes snapping at the threads.

Re: Re:

northy":a27h00wh said:
shame really

Ive had these wheels 23 years and only now are the spokes snapping at the threads.

Now that is the given reason for using a finer thread on 1.8 mm as this would reduce stress risers/raisers.

Anyway a move to 2.0 mm will last a lot longer, I have 2 bikes 33 & 34 yrs on original rims, hubs & 2.0 mm ss plain gauge spokes :D .

Back