BB stuck - cup broken!

Re:

okay similar question… metal side cup teeth are stripped and plastic side cup is trashed and cracked, now what? :p

Re:

Drill out around plastic side. Punch whole bb through from drive side. Should leave metal cup. Then repeat as previous post.

If it's a softer plastic cup will be easy.

Re: Re:

The History Man":7wsgco1b said:
Drill out around plastic side. Punch whole bb through from drive side. Should leave metal cup. Then repeat as previous post.

If he punches it out it might hurt his fist, I would suggest using a mallet.

Gaddmeister":26y2507c said:
The History Man":26y2507c said:
If he punches it out it might hurt his fist, I would suggest using a mallet.
how about kicking with my feet? :LOL:

Re:

If I may interrupt this fascinating debate for a moment to post an update on the removal of my bottom bracket :shock: I have made an interesting discovery. After many helpful suggestions on the subject on this thread I armed myself with an assortment of drills, hacksaw blades, spanners,a large mug of tea and prepared to do battle with the aforesaid component. I started to undo the drive side (the nds being unusable) and applied force anti-clockwise. No go. Stuck. Perhaps a bit of reverse pressure might unlock the thing. Surprise, surpise - it came out as sweet as a sweet thing can come out. All the way. BB was a normal UN54. I do remember encountering this phenomenon some years ago on a bike with an e-type bottom bracket mounted front mech. A reversed bottom bracket tube? Anyway, I then took a hacksaw blade to the remains of the nds cup and that was that. Cleaned out the threads and all is well - no damage done :D Thanks once again for all the help.

michael franks":2fykmwv8 said:
If I may interrupt this fascinating debate for a moment to post an update on the removal of my bottom bracket :shock: I have made an interesting discovery. After many helpful suggestions on the subject on this thread I armed myself with an assortment of drills, hacksaw blades, spanners,a large mug of tea and prepared to do battle with the aforesaid component. I started to undo the drive side (the nds being unusable) and applied force anti-clockwise. No go. Stuck. Perhaps a bit of reverse pressure might unlock the thing. Surprise, surpise - it came out as sweet as a sweet thing can come out. All the way. BB was a normal UN54. I do remember encountering this phenomenon some years ago on a bike with an e-type bottom bracket mounted front mech. A reversed bottom bracket tube? Anyway, I then took a hacksaw blade to the remains of the nds cup and that was that. Cleaned out the threads and all is well - no damage done :D Thanks once again for all the help.

All English bottom bracket shells (pretty much all threaded MTB BB shells) are reverse threaded on the drive side, the idea being that the action of the bearings on the inside of the cup doesn't wind the cup out of the shell. I don't know if Italian made MTBs have "Italian threading", which would be a regular thread (but different pitch to English) both sides.

Latest posts

Back