Broken XT shifter. Needs a nylon nipple? (!)

JohnMarin_77

Old School Hero
Hello RBers

Can you help me please? My XT shifters wont work - the windows no longer shift when I change gear.

I have pulled them apart and can see that a small white nylon part has "lost its nipple" - they are meant to ratchet the window bar along but on one of the shifters they cant because the little nipple seems to have worn away to nowt.

The two nylon parts have tiny writing on them, I think they are stamped F3SL and R8SL, the shifters are SL M740.

Any idea where I can find some new nylon nipples? ...

Thanks all!

John

Attachments

• xt shifter 1.jpg
    xt shifter 1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 802
  • xt shifter 2.jpg
    xt shifter 2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 802
  • xt shifter 3 - broken.jpg
    xt shifter 3 - broken.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 802
Either try and find a replacement shifter here for sale on eBay, or run them without as they should shift fine are two options.

I have some XTR 952 shifter Windows spare, can't stand the things. I'll see if the nipple bit you refer to is the same and get back to you.

I found a few articles online with people saying they just put duct tape over the brass hole and got on with riding - I understand that but I would like to get these working. Any help appreciated. J

Take the clear Perspex out and move it with your finger? Just remember to move it back again before that big climb or you may find yourself in the wrong gear.

No need to thank me. Really.

I am bumping this to see if anyone can help me out so that I can get the xt windows working again.

If anyone has a dead pair of these for other reasons and would be willing to part with the nylon nipple I need I would be exceedingly grateful.

Latest posts

Back