1995 Answer Manitou Magnum Forks

Re:

I have just rebuilt a set of Manitou 3's and the look very similar internally to Wadsy's pics.. I used pace mxcd elastomers which are readily available from Pace themselves @ £45. The diameter is 20mm which is the same as the ones i removed. It doesn't help with the seals etc but brings the cost down a bit.

Re:

Now you can extend travel on these (basically use a longer spring stack and some extra bolts)

Also the old dual spring/elastomer setup apparently works nicely so a mix of elastomer and some springs.

The cheaper version uses a long elastomer, and the rings around it create the deformation points if you look at it.
That is an easier method but you'll need to remove the skewer by the looks of it.

If you can fit foam elastomer (MCU) then wider versions could be used possibly in one length as they collapse into themselves rather than needing the room to deform into.

Have fun, may go dig out mine today.

Re: Re:

PopsTrippin":2xyo01xh said:
I have just rebuilt a set of Manitou 3's and the look very similar internally to Wadsy's pics.. I used pace mxcd elastomers which are readily available from Pace themselves @ £45. The diameter is 20mm which is the same as the ones i removed. It doesn't help with the seals etc but brings the cost down a bit.
On the 4's they are 21/32" (16.77mm) elastomer in 1" lengths (x6) or the full length version (comp) is 6-1/4" long.
2nd stage is 3/4" long.

Re:

i rebuilt a magnum earlier this year- seals and bushings were in good condition so i only needed to replace the elastomers and bumpers. That thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=361369

the elastomers were purchased from bikerecyclery which is also in the states- i'm not sure how the price is relative to suspensionforkparts.something after shipping, but the initial cost for the kit i bought was a bit less than half the kit from the suspensioPartsGuyThing so i assume it's something people might actually be able to afford.
The kit i bought is here: http://www.bikerecyclery.com/vintage-ma ... -r-medium/

looks like there's still a couple left... basically, elastomers and guides from the sx/spyder fit in the magnum legs and if you get around 6" of them they are a suitable replacement in the magnum/comp/3/4. They won't work in the 1/2/sport though, those were a little different.
There's other kits that will work there too...whatever looks like it has 6" of elastomer. They also had elastomers for the quadra which are very similar to the elastomers used in the comp.

If you are trying to find urethane rod stock in the right durometer i can't say what will work. Something in the 40-60 range is what i've seen others recommend. I've ordered some 50a urethane rod in almost the same dimensions as the elasto used in the mani 1/2/sport and i'll probably post how that works (i swear all the posts about using urethane rod stock in early manitous end at "i'll keep you updated!") when that rebuild is finished. I found that on ebay- the seller was like an outlet for a urethane manufacturer that was selling over-runs and "drops" and one just so happened to be the right size.

for the bottom out bumpers i used some 60a " PUR hollow round rod" purchased from Amazon cut to about 1-1/2 inch. That's not the original length... but it's what i needed to stop the travel at around 2" since i was using shorter than normal top out bumpers and a longer elasto stack (because of the coil spring).
For top out bumpers i used the top outs form a couple wasted judy forks. There's no shortage of those...

Fork works pretty good... although i never use it since i never rid the bike they're on.

Re:

Trebz- they should work as that's the kit i used. I used two of the long elastos with a spring per leg and the compression stack is a little taller than stock but i'm okay with it. 3 long elastos per leg should be just like stock.

You will still need to source the stage 2 and stage 3 elastomers if you haven't done so already- those are the bottom out and top out bumpers. They should be easier to source... something soft and rubbery with a hole in it in the right dimensions should work.

an an update about my 50a urethane rod manitou1 rebuild: i don't have a bike to put the fork on, but compressing it on the floor seems to feel almost the same as a rockshox quadra. So far i'm liking the 50a. I'd imagine if 60a is all that's available it's probably not far off but that's just me speculating.

Re: Re:

brains":39rlkdq1 said:
Trebz- they should work as that's the kit i used. I used two of the long elastos with a spring per leg and the compression stack is a little taller than stock but i'm okay with it. 3 long elastos per leg should be just like stock.

You will still need to source the stage 2 and stage 3 elastomers if you haven't done so already- those are the bottom out and top out bumpers. They should be easier to source... something soft and rubbery with a hole in it in the right dimensions should work.

an an update about my 50a urethane rod manitou1 rebuild: i don't have a bike to put the fork on, but compressing it on the floor seems to feel almost the same as a rockshox quadra. So far i'm liking the 50a. I'd imagine if 60a is all that's available it's probably not far off but that's just me speculating.

Cool, thanks buddy.

Do you have any web links for the Stage 2 and Stage 3 elastomers? That would help us all greatly.

Ta

Re:

this is the product i used for the stage-something bottom out bumpers. It's the 1" OD, 3/8th" ID, 6" length one that i used although you could go hog wild and get 3 feet of it if you wanted.
The ID doesn't allow it to loosely fit over the compression rods BUT i just lubed everything up and jammed them on there. I don't remember what the length was originally for the stage 2 or whatever stage the bottom out bumpers were, but i used a razor blade to cut mine to something over an inch. This was what i approximated would give me 2" of travel before bottoming out. I'm pretty freaked out about bottoming out the wheel on the crown so i wanted to be careful...

For the top out bumper you will need to find something else as that amazon POR urethane rod will not fit inside the upper tubes. I used some extra top out bumpers from damaged rockshox judy forks. They are shorter than the original stage 3 or whatever elastomers but should work just fine... all they do is arrest the fork when the elastomers shove it apart and prevent a harsh top out.

It might be more cost effective to look around for something that will work for both the top out and bottom out bumpers so you're not buying a ton of unnecessary urethane tubes, but the amazon stuff is just what i settled for.

now that i think about it... the short judy top out bumper is probably what allowed me to run the 2 elastos and the spring in each leg of my fork. If you get a top out bumper that's the normal length you'll have to go with all elasto, which isn't a big deal... just something i remembered.

Bumping to raise awareness of my intention to re build and restore these. Does anyone else have anything to say?

Fluffychicken: Did you begin work on yours?

Back