Just bought a Project 2 fork - what now?

dadsoldbikes

Dirt Disciple
Hello,

Well this is the start of my retro bike build. I just picked up a set of early 90's Kona Project 2 forks of ebay. They appear to be in good condition.

This is a new venture for me as I have never built a bike before.

I will probably have them resprayed and apply new decals.

I have no idea which type of headset/bike these will fit. Anyone offer some advice on headset types?

Thanks.

It will be 1 1/8" conventional cup headset (not internal / zero stack /tapered or anything else). If they are threaded at the top of the steerer, then you will need a threaded headset.

Have a look at the Park Tools website for brilliant how-to gudes and videos - if nothing else they show how it all fits together.

The next step is to check the stack height. If your steerer is too long, no bother, simply add an ahead stacker or two between the two locknuts. Of course you need enough thread to be able to tighten the headset bearing enough to eliminate play.

Re:

Good tip - thanks.

If it is a 1" how might this affect my frame options?

Hoping to pick up an early 90's Kona steel frame and have it sprayed with new decals.

really, a 1" frame needs a 1" fork.

a 1.125" frame needds a 1.125" fork

aaaand a 1.25" frame needs a 1.25" fork.

You say it's an early 90s P2; how early? 92 & 93 were crossover years, so it could be either 1" or 1.25 of it's 92/93. Colour of your forks and sticker design would help lots.

As a general rule, you need to find a frame with a headtube diameter that matches your fork steerer diameter and also is the right length for the steerer. If you post pictures it will help identify the year of the fork so a Kona frame of the same year should fit. The length of the steerer will roughly dictate the frame size needed too.

Mark

Latest posts

Back