Cable rub protectors - which are best long term ?

M-Power

Old School Grand Master
Do you go partly naked cables on the frame, with the risk of pinging the paint when you ride ?

Do you use the small rubber donut types or the plastic tube/sleeves ?

Which protect the frame best 'long term' ?

Re:

I've got both. Sheaths look better and supposedly keep out crud, but still hit the frame and make a distinct sound.

Rubber donuts do a slightly better job of frame protection imho, but nothing is perfect.

Combine either of the above with clear vinyl tape if you really want to protect your paint, or a coloured equivalent. I quite like carbon.

Re: Re:

ishaw":1z1zhfcb said:
I've got both. Sheaths look better and supposedly keep out crud, but still hit the frame and make a distinct sound.

Rubber donuts do a slightly better job of frame protection imho, but nothing is perfect.

Combine either of the above with clear vinyl tape if you really want to protect your paint, or a coloured equivalent. I quite like carbon.

Clear vinyl strip underneath with donuts....like that tip :D

Track bike :LOL:

Re:

Ive found donuts useless as they move from where you want them to be.

Yes, they never stay in the middle, where they'll do some good, and always seem to shift to the ends, next to the cable stop where they do no good whatsoever.

I covered the exposed cables, between the stops with some thin tubing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... p;_sacat=0

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

You can also get this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/transfil-gear-c ... proof-kit/

With it you can completely encase the gear cables from the shifters to the mechs, great if you have a frame where the gear cables are under the down tube, where they get covered in spray from the front wheel and get ratty quickly. A bit more fiddly to fit, but it did work quite well.

Re:

The good quality fairly pliable rubber style donuts hold their position quite well, actually ... at least for a season or so, until the rubber breaks down and hardens from UV ray damage or w.h.y..

Re:

I use the rubber donuts and when they drift off to one end of the cable or the other I simply move them back to where I think they ought to be. One thing I've thought of but haven't tried yet is gluing them into position. I suppose a small piece of sleeving either side of the donut or even just on the side the donut moves towards would do the trick too :)

Back