MTB Touring bar choices?

I started with short bar ends and quickly went to long x lites. Lots of choice of position. When you're on it for 5/6 hours you need as many as you can get.

Definitely something with a choice of hand positions. Something with a good amount of backsweep also makes a big difference.

I run On-One Marys on the tandem, although it's impossible to find a pair of bar-ends that fit due to the extreme angle. I miss the bar ends.

Re:

Splatter Paint":13d7664r said:
- Straight bar with 'ergo' grips and bar ends (cheapest)

- bullmoose or cow horns (not a lot different from above)

- butterfly bars (how the heck do you assess the required stem length?!)

What have folk used for two week plus tours?

For 2 week tours, use whatever you have already. You can't go too wrong and there's always time to change for the next time if the experience was not good.

From experience, if it works for you, the straight bars with ergonomic grips is the easiest. The bullmoose might stretch you too much in a mtb. The butterfly bars are pretty good because they shorten the distance to the saddle and allows you to cycle more upright. But the foam grip is a pain to replace if it breaks (you can use tape but it doesn't last long either), and if you use a handlebar bag you might have to buy an extension to install it into the handlebar. Also, if you need to fly, it's more cumbersome to fit into a box, although nothing huge.

Re:

I recently bought a set of these to try them out, rather then spending £30 plus on genuine ergons: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Pair-Ergon-B ... SwbqpTuk4T

I'm quite pleased with them for the price, they do give you an alternative hand position, even if they do look a bit goofy.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've always found straight riser bars (mtb type) with Ergon GP3 bar ends as the ideal combination of comfort and variety for touring. I've seen the butterfly bars and they just look faintly ridiculous, can't see what they offer.

Re:

Scott AT4's offer loads of positions and are great for touring I've found. AT4 Pro's might be a bit extreme though.

Back