Retrobike Touring.

Re:

I've just started planning mine...

- 60 plus miles per day
- YHA or cheap B&B
- take the station hack, rather than buy a bike
- new BB fitted
- new chain fitted (well, robbed off one of my other bikes and less than 0.5 worn)
- investigated squeaky rear brake - pads knackered so on with some from the spares box.

- undecided on bar choice & stem length, it is clear 110mm is too long
- undecided on front luggage, I have Topeak rack and Ortlieb panniers

No clear date for the tour yet either!

Re: Retro MTB Touring.

I'll be off with No.2 son on the tandem in early April, for a few days in Normandy along the D-Day beaches. We plan to be camping, but will check what the weather is doing just before we go...

Re:

I'm still aiming to break my touring virginity this year,

Have been slowly amassing parts and trying to produce a comfortable bike.

I bought a trek 520, drop bars and all, but despite being a "proper" tourer, it still feels too long and "racy" for me. Currently investigating stem lengths and heights.

I have also been making my commuter Cannondale comfier (alliteration anyone?), fitting a brooks saddle and riser bars so it is a much more "sit up" affair now. My point being I may end up selling the Trek on and just sticking to my trusty Cannondale commuter for touring!!

Was planning on doing Wales route 8, but I'm thinking of being a bit more realistic now and just setting off from home and riding towards Yorkshire for a few days.

Pics soon.

Joe

Re:

I've made a few changes to the Trek and added the racks.

Did a sensible shakedown ride which was a great success and I'm now planning a couple 60 mile day trips just to prove the bike and my legs.

Mudguards incoming shortly.

DSCN1437_zpslyxch8oj.jpg

Re: Retro MTB Touring.

hamster":1dpzghty said:
I'll be off with No.2 son on the tandem in early April, for a few days in Normandy along the D-Day beaches. We plan to be camping, but will check what the weather is doing just before we go...

Hamster, please document your trip and provide pictures and narrative. This will be a great addition to this post.

Re: Re:

Joe_Rides":p19mvydw said:
I'm still aiming to break my touring virginity this year,

Was planning on doing Wales route 8, but I'm thinking of being a bit more realistic now and just setting off from home and riding towards Yorkshire for a few days.

It is probably best to build up slowly: do an overnighter to get used to the handling and make sure you have the right kit and find out what works and what doesn't, then extend to a two day etc. Typically you discover a whole load of stuff you don't need, rather what you forgot!

It also helps settle the bike down. It's ghastly stuck by the side of the road with a pile of panniers and broken rack simply because one M4 bolt worked loose and you don't have a spare. Last year my seatpost bolt snapped at Schiphol airport as I reassembled the bike - it had clearly fatigued. Fortunately I had a long enough spare as the mudguard bolt, and bodged the guard back on with a zip tie...but you get the point.

hamster":1brkukbr said:
It is probably best to build up slowly: do an overnighter to get used to the handling and make sure you have the right kit and find out what works and what doesn't, then extend to a two day etc.

This is very much what I have in mind for this spring and summer. It's good to know I'm being sensible rather than turning into an overcautious old fart.

Two photos from when I did a Normandy tour with no.1 son:

Heavy metal...next to a tank:
22188220176_3a2c45ec55.jpg

and camping (2 April, it was around freezing all trip, with a strong easterly wind)
30465594595_34b20f8773.jpg

Joe_Rides":1l03fupw said:
I bought a trek 520, drop bars and all, but despite being a "proper" tourer, it still feels too long and "racy" for me. Currently investigating stem lengths and heights.

The Trek 520 is a classic touring bike, in the Trek range for years. But the dimensions are, as you say, too racy. Handlebar should be at least level with the saddle to start with, but most big brand manufacturers make their tourer model too aggressive.

Surly is often criticized for their ugly extra long steerer tubes. But that allows the owner to ride as upright as desired. So they sell thousands of touring bikes...

Also, there's an overvaluation of drop bars for touring. If you like them, fine. But many think that it's a must for a good tourer. And that leads to plenty of people cycling uncomfortably. A friend of mine has a Cannondale Touring 2 and his first "upgrade" was to buy one of those ugly steerer extensions. Not great for such an expensive bike.

Another fault of the Cannondale tourers is that they have toe overlap. I tolerate it on my fast road bike but not a loaded tourer which can need large tugs on the bars to balance at low speed.

Latest posts

Back