My RB Build History - a few words and a few pics!

Re: My RB Story - a few words and a few pics!..Updated 23/7/2015

Ollie":pqbdkfpb said:
Fantastic thread, some absolute blinders you've had :) .

Thanks Ollie :D

Re:

Still loving that 94 axis with all the red bits! By the way, what did you think of the scwalbe crazy bobs you had on the kona? Ive found a place that sells them cheap and i must admit im tempted

Sean

Re: Re:

SEANSTEPHENS":1lo55fne said:
Still loving that 94 axis with all the red bits! By the way, what did you think of the scwalbe crazy bobs you had on the kona? Ive found a place that sells them cheap and i must admit im tempted

Sean

That one was a bit funky! :)

The Bobs had good volume, but I think they were like a "jumping around type tyre"!...as they were pretty stiff, I thought (with the volume) that they'd have been more compliant. Hence thinking of their intended use!

Cheers

Wow! Just read this for the first time - some stunning builds there (I'll set aside an hour or two this evening (and maybe the rest of the week :LOL:) to read some of the complete threads.

Inspirational! :D

regan_ev":6v6mq34x said:
Wow! Just read this for the first time - some stunning builds there (I'll set aside an hour or two this evening (and maybe the rest of the week :LOL:) to read some of the complete threads.

Inspirational! :D

:cool:

Aye! it certainly is an impressive aray of mtbs you've had wadsy and you've still got yourself some nice little gems their atm too mate :cool: ..

Whats the story with the bikes

Are they bought typically complete, frame only, do you reatore frame, are parts period correct

Do you ride them, much if at all once finished
Also cost, presumably the journey is in finding parts and assembly, and once done probably sold on at cost or at a loss, obviously the time spent is never recouoed in a financial sense.

Particularly like the moots

02gf74":1vcom6y0 said:
Whats the story with the bikes

Are they bought typically complete, frame only, do you reatore frame, are parts period correct

Do you ride them, much if at all once finished
Also cost, presumably the journey is in finding parts and assembly, and once done probably sold on at cost or at a loss, obviously the time spent is never recouoed in a financial sense.

Particularly like the moots

The bikes are built mainly to give me something to do/give me focus as due to the state of my health I had to give up work quite a few years back now. I'm sure I'd probably go mad otherwise!

I do build them to fit me as for riding, but any riding is very limited (say 10 minutes very easy riding) on very rare occasions for the above reason.

The builds vary greatly (as you can see in the build thread links) as to where they start, how they evolve and the spec. Some are bought complete, others (I would say most) frame only and parts sourced, but all are stripped down and cleaned/refurbed etc before building. I haven't 'restored' a frame (ie. repainted) as to me that's would be dead money as most bikes get moved on to allow for the next one! I have restored Mag 21's though - see Yo Eddy build with colour matched lower legs.

I have managed to acquire (and keep) my first three mtb's (yellow splatter Lava Dome, KHS Montana Team and DBR Axis TT) ....all the others have been and gone.

Financially, more often than not frames and parts can be sold on at a similar value to purchase if bought 'right'.

The Moots was very nice and probably the best handling bike I've had. Maybe it was the geo or maybe I just struck lucky with the parts set-up :)

Cheers

Muddy paw":14jc382j said:
Aye! it certainly is an impressive aray of mtbs you've had wadsy and you've still got yourself some nice little gems their atm too mate :cool: ..

Yes, been fortunate to be able to hang onto the three I had 'bitd' :cool:

Cheers

Re:

Finally got round to updating this thread with a SC Superlight and a FUNK I built a while back! :)

Back