Painting a Specialized M2 team frame MMC and paint peel...

masha

Kona Fan
I'm planning on restoring an early '90s team frame - its MMC and I've heard there were problems getting paint to stick to Metal Matrix Composite in the early days (reflected in the condition of the frame I have). I usually powder-coat my steel frames in solid primary colours these days, but being alloy am always weary of doing this especially to heat treated frames because of the re- heating process etc.

Due to the totally different construction used in MMC construction (AL and AL02) welds etc my questions to anyone that knows are:
- can M2 frames be safely powder-coated, and will the powder actually take to the frame long term?
- what is the best paint method and should I consider an etch primer prior to painting, or what is the best technique without costing the earth or wrecking this ex-team bike.

When completed - It will be a shelf queen (as I have another production M2 Team built up and running I have no intention of painting), and I will be asking Gill to do me all the original vinyl decals which is pretty easy as they are all plain yellow vinyl, for this project.

any advice appreciated.

If you go down the route of wet paint always use a self etch primer, if you have to go premixed always make sure it is within the use by date, if theres no date do not buy it.

Re:

I bought an M2 that had been powdercoated and after its 5th ride, it cracked at the seat tube. Could be age, notorious for cracking there or the powder coat. I have the later M2 that is beefed up with gussets and a larger seat tube diameter. I hasten to add; it has original paint :D

Back