A ringer!! (the thrill of the chase)

pondweed

Old School Hero
I've just had my first experience of chasing an advertised bike which was "clearly" something decent. And seeing that, I just pressed the button quickly rather than making an offer on the "push bike", and then trekked for an hour and a bit to go and pick the thing up.

And, of course, as you have paid for it already, you don't really bother looking at it on pick up, as you don't have many options. But the 'Titanium' label is just encouraging smugness.

And then back to the dim light of the kitchen. That appears to be a (probably higher quality?) rust. Titanium does corrode, doesnt it? But hold on , isn't that actually PAINT...?

Suffice to say my Marin Team Titanium (sic) seems to be a rebadge job, from some young upwardly mobile gent or the last bikeshop sale perhaps. Nice work.

Having found my frame code, it is at least a Marin. It's 94, seems pretty original and a flight transalp sat nicely protected under one of those superheavy gel saddle toppers.

A worthy experience from which I'll learn from. :facepalm:

Re:

Gutted, I saw that advert. Still, worth the money with xt kit too? Is it definitely steel, I was in two minds then it disappeard off the 'Bay? Was a good rebadge / fake anyhow - I'm sure the parts will be worth the price you paid, but I do know the feeling too.

Re:

Well, I figured I had twenty seconds or so to decide, so at least I saved you a longer trip than me.
Yes, it was rust, so it IS steel, and the paint must be original, as there are original stickers all over it.

But who rebadged it... and why?*

Interesting, the house clearance source made it likely it would have gone for half that, but who would chance it?

so guys and gals, get your sleuthing hats on....*

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172537550322?

Looks like it has had little use, but the only non standard seems to be a weird stronglight X15 headset. Think I'll invest in a couple of inner tubes for safely.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Might not be titanium but you're not a loser at that price. 32 hole M231's with amber walls are worth that alone. Can just see the rust on the seat stay bridge in the last picture. At £45 it's still a steal. Reminds me of my old neighbours 1.8 Ford Sierra with Cosworth badges. Ride it, enjoy it, split it.

Financial loss depends on whether you drove there in a Nissan Leaf or a V8?

Looks a little like rust on the seat tube by the decal in the eBay pics. Still, it's well worth the money paid and more, the xt parts sold could add at least a 1 to the price paid, probably a bit more so a steel. I'll get my coat for that last gag.

A clue - the top stickers are new but the paint must be original from the other decals.

(out of interest, be interested to know whether folks think the up tube 'MARIN' logo is right for 94. difficult to tell from catalogue.

1992 Team Issue? Was nickel plated IIRC, and Tange Prestige tubing, so actually a very nice steel frame, worth considerably more than you paid.

Does it have "Marin" stamped into the rear dropouts?

Re:

It's prestige Ultimate Superlight (sticker present), and the code is M24 so confirmed as Marvel factory, Team Marin and 1994. Its obviously paint, as the Taiwan sticker is above that layer.

Interesting that the Team Ti was listed at $2500 in 1988; the only RRP I can find for the Team Marin is $1800 in 1994 from VeloBase. I wonder how their weights compare; but the steelie is going to be a better, safer proposition, despite not being as rare and prestigious.

Anyone know what paint I should be sourcing? I think I'll touch up and rub back to match. Things like chainstays need refinishing properly.

The stickers? I intend to just remove the 'Titanium' bit in the first instance, just so I'm not perceived as a wannabe. :facepalm:

I wonder if a bikeshop restickered it as they didnt have "Team Marin" ones, and it looked the right colour?!

So yes, been hoodwinked by sheer covetousness, but the subconscious box-ticking for all the XT bits came good. A good tale too.

Interesting that the main spec difference for Team Marin and Team Issue is a slight smattering of LX in the XT in the former; i.e. Cantis and cranks. Both have a titanium BB! :LOL:

Back