Older Marin Frames - Country of Manufacture?

npn

Retro Guru
Is there a year or a model that Marin started having their frames made outside the US?

I have a 1999 Marin IFT and the sticker on the vertical tube says "Made in USA"

I also have a 1999 Marin Palisades Trail, that I'm rebuilding here, and that one has a sticker that says "Hand Made for Marin", but I can't tell where it was made in. The two frames are different (it's not just the components) - the IFT seems more refined.

My 1992 Bear Valley is made in Taiwan which amazed and shocked me when i first got it in 1992 but i still own and ride it so it hasnt worried me too much

Re: Re:

xxnick1975":39z75p3p said:
Did they make any in USA?

I'm not a Marin expert but I can say that the early Titanium frames were US made (Merlin built), Team Issues from 1991 were built by Tom Teesdale (32 frames made), and I suspect the early Program tubed frames were also built in the US.

Please correct me if i'm wrong of if there are other models known to be built in the US.

See the second picture in this post where it has a sticker with "custom made in the usa for"... It appears to be Marin Rocky Ridge. So yeah, I believe some of them were made in the US.

npn":1581nrdk said:
See the second picture in this post where it has a sticker with "custom made in the usa for"... It appears to be Marin Rocky Ridge. So yeah, I believe some of them were made in the US.

I think that means the Easton tubing was made in the USA rather than the frame. That's not to say the frame wasn't made in the USA though.

I'd have thought that in the early-mid 90's, as with a lot of the manufacturers, Marin might have made it's top end frames in the USA. The mid range & lower would almost certainly have been made in Taiwan. They had to compete on price after all.

If it has an M or F in the frame number it's made in Taiwan.
Aren't they all made in Taiwan except the Titanium and FSR frames?

Back