Hope ti hub disk spider removal help?

andyparle

Retro Guru
Does anyone know if its possible to remove the ugly disk spider off a front hope ti hub? I want to use the wheels with vees and the spider is proper ugly. It looks like it should come off but i have a feeling it is rivited on. Any help much appreciated

iscervo":2bl1d0w9 said:
Undo the lock ring with a pin spanner & the spider will slide off the hub.

Undo the locking with a pin spanner and Hope (geddit? ;) ) the spider slides off.

Last time I tried this I had a nightmare with the lockring, after days of soaking in Plusgas it still wouldn't move and I was damaging the 4 holes so the pin spanner would no longer fit. I ended up taking a chisel to the lockring, once split it came off easily. The spider also needed a bit of "persueding" to come off the hub, it's splined and can be a pain to remove.

But I'm sure you'll be just fine.... :LOL:

Re:

I made a tool fot that from a freewheel removal tool:

Worked perfectly. The hubs afterwards, just cause I like the picture:

Re:

Shiny!! ^^^ :)

I think the hubs I had had never been seperated, trust me to be the first person to attempt it :roll:

Re:

sweet, I will pick myself up a pin spanner thingy and give it a bash. ps Bartsince1975, I "hope" mine come out looking as good as yours! I kinda like the look of the splines once they are off, proper industrial. Shame my rear hub is one of the later ti models with the standard mounting holes.

Says nasty things about Hope :shock: Not sure if I should offer help. :?

Yeah ok.
Circlip pliers, likely its glued in, threadlock or more usual, superglue.

Place points in holes and bolt the whole thing down using a big washer, (and enough others to take up the space) and a QR skewer
The big washer needs to cover the whole area and stops the points of the pliers jumping out. Apply lots of pressure and it should undo.
If its starting to move and is still realy stiff, it means its seized rather than threadlock/glued on. Plenty of spray oil/degreaser/anti seize will help it then, but likely its glued.

I usually place the tyred wheel against my chest and the wall to hold it while I strain to break the glueline.

I've had a look but i cant find the pic example i used on someone elses thread, but therees an example somewhere, though it is somewhat self explanatory

Some ive undone were only finger tight :shock: but i still have one at the top of my hope pile that i gave up on as i was just damaging the holes more and more, and my knuckles :evil: should have bolted the spanner in :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back