Spinning Bottle Cage Boss with Seized Bolt

Mikb23

Old School Hero
Hi there

Does anyone know of anyone in the Hampshire area who could fix a broken bottle cage boss? It has a seized rusty bolt in it and the boss is spinning round in the frame.

I have found a few articles and fixes on the forums but I don't really have the tools or skills to repair it myself.

It's a titanium frame if that makes any difference?

Any advice would be massively appreciated.

Cheers
Mik

I had the same issue with a ti frame. Sent it to enigma bikes who sorted it for £25 plus return postage iirc.

Coincidentally, at the weekend I had the same issue with an alloy frame.
Bolt is stuck in there and the rivnut just spins, tried getting pliers, grips etc on the rivnut but no joy so far.
If I could remove the bolt I know how to tighten up the rivnut afterwards.

Any top tips?

PS: apologies for the thread hijack.

Mikb23":zn49y1k4 said:
Hi there

Does anyone know of anyone in the Hampshire area who could fix a broken bottle cage boss? It has a seized rusty bolt in it and the boss is spinning round in the frame.

I have found a few articles and fixes on the forums but I don't really have the tools or skills to repair it myself.

Cheers
Mik

If you can get a blade to it then cut it and let it fall inside the frame. Squirt some automotive seam sealant in to stop you rattling like Steptoe's wagon. Any LBS should be able to pop a new rivnut in for a packet of biscuits.

Westfailure":12hcc0zd said:
Mikb23":12hcc0zd said:
Hi there

Cheers
Mik

If you can get a blade to it then cut it and let it fall inside the frame. Squirt some automotive seam sealant in to stop you rattling like Steptoe's wagon. Any LBS should be able to pop a new rivnut in for a packet of biscuits.
Should be able to get old bolt out through seat tube or bottom bracket if down tube, no? Would stop a potential rattle?

Gaddmeister":2r23dkx0 said:
Westfailure":2r23dkx0 said:
Mikb23":2r23dkx0 said:
Hi there

Cheers
Mik

Should be able to get old bolt out through seat tube or bottom bracket if down tube, no? Would stop a potential rattle?

You are right. Give it a try. I have done it on two Marin Ti frames and they are blocked off at the ends. As in not actually a tube.

Re:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Balls! I should have waited before fitting the BB and chainset eh? :LOL:

I'll have a go and see how I get on.

as others have said, as long as theres a hole big enough to remove the old rivnut through either the headtube or bottom bracket shell, then its entirely possible to fix it yourself.

you dont need to buy a rivnut tool, you can make one very easily (plenty of vids on youtube) & rivnuts are pretty cheap on ebay.

I would advise a couple of layers of thick gaffer tape around the bottle boss, for the hacksaw/bolt removal, purely to protect the frame from any accidental slips!

Back