which stumpjumper is this?

I think you are correct :) can anyone tell me the correct names for the carbon/steel/ti versions? and availability cost should i decide to hunt a frame down....I feel a project coming on lol

Re:

A couple have popped up on this forum before, that's where I recognized it from, I wasn't aware of them before. Try the search function, the people that have or did have them will likely know a lot more.

Epic -> Steel lugs
Epic Ultimate -> Titanium lugs
Bike spyder -> Titanium lugs

Iirc the early Ulimates had the lugs sprayed black like the rest of the frame. But I'm not 100% sure.

Re:

Here's my 1991 Epic [steel lugs].

As mentioned, early Ultimates [to '93] had ti lugs painted which made them look like 'basic' Epics - tell tale sign is rack / mudguard mounts on rear dropouts.

Forum member 'Archangel' has the finest one I've seen - a replica of Ned Overends 1990 Worlds bike, built to perfection and finest detail.

They're very nicely made frames - Mike Wilk [ridevintagemtb] has a really special one with lots of proto parts which he's written a nice piece about on his website - a good place to start for info before too much more of it is rehashed here...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 872
Thias":13e7yj4t said:
Epic -> Steel lugs

Iirc the early Ulimates had the lugs sprayed black like the rest of the frame. But I'm not 100% sure.

Just a friendly clarification, in 1990 Specialized offered an "Epic Ultimate" that was their steel-lugged Epic with WTB parts and XC-Pro. I don't believe the ti-lugged version was offered until 93, and that was named the "S-works Epic Ultimate." S-works being the division of Specialized that worked with Merlin to develop the lugs.

kai's 1991 titanium lugged epic ultimate.
viewtopic.php?t=14081

Thias: "Iirc the early Ulimates had the lugs sprayed black like the rest of the frame. But I'm not 100% sure." you're correct. the earliest ti lugged were all black. the irony is that the silver colour on the later titanium epic/ultimates is actually painted, partially as the titanium ultimate uses the cheaper steel seatstay lugs (off the epic)

Stew-b. the bike in your picture is a 91 steel lugged epic. 1990 didnt have this decal: http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/ ... /epic7.jpg purely as Ned won the worlds in 1990 (on a 1 off ti lugged ultimate) & the decal was attached the following year.

BoyBurning is correct; the easiest way to tell our the dropouts. not only do the steel lugged have a mudguard eyelet on the top of the dropout, they're also considerably more rounded. On Kai's you can see the merlin titanium made dropout is considerably more angular, being laser cut

I saw a steel lugged epic frame for £250 on ebay.uk fairly recently. the ti lugged sell for around £750 up, depending on condition.

hope that helps! :)

ridevintagemtb":1wgempgo said:
Thias":1wgempgo said:
Epic -> Steel lugs

Just a friendly clarification, in 1990 Specialized offered an "Epic Ultimate" that was their steel-lugged Epic with WTB parts and XC-Pro. I don't believe the ti-lugged version was offered until 93, and that was named the "S-works Epic Ultimate." S-works being the division of Specialized that worked with Merlin to develop the lugs.

Thanks for the heads up. Did not know that.

Back