MTB Columbus tubing....what's the deal with it....

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Really struggling to find anything definitive on line as to the 'hierarchy', if you like, of Columbus MTB tubing....? As in, what's the lowest of the tubing grades, through to the highest?

Could be that I don't quite know how to word the google search! Anyone got a table or chart they could post up?

Thanks! Kaz

Re:

Thanks, yes, I had seen that one, but wondered if it was a bit out of date? (says 1989 at the top)
Plus it doesn't really grade the tubing, as such, but lists the qualities, which is useful.

Perhaps I should say it's for a 1997 frame, I think it's Cromor but wondered where that fitted in, and also where does Nivacrom come into the rankings....?

(I suppose I'm thinking is it equivalent to Reynolds 501, 520, 531.......)

Nivacrom is waaaay up the food chain.

Thron is near the middle /bottom along with some Plain gauge stuff I cant remember the name of.

columbus-536x800.jpeg

What it looks like internally

CromorButtingmed_zps279fb994.jpg

Re:

I didn't realise there were going to be follow up questions, my usefulness has been exhausted here I think :LOL:

I'll leave Legrandefromage to take it from here :mrgreen:

Re:

Ha ha ha!! :LOL:

Thanks chaps, both of you, that's really useful. In the meantime while you were typing that in LGF, the 'net crashed and on further investigation I've discovered it's Thron, not Cromor, so I horribly mislead you...... :facepalm:

BUT one with all the decals is useful as a guide, thank you!

Re:

This one i'm building has nivacrom tubes.. it's a size L frame and tubes they're so thin.. same frame with titanium tubes build by Morati weighs 1525g

Back