Who got the Orange Formula then?

fattiman":15xqbggs said:
Your opinion counts for nothing IMHO. Bad form in multiple threads!?? There you go again with the slander, you really need to stop that.
"My worry is what lies underneath the paint and inside the tubes. Without tube replacement its £500 frame and fork refurb imho. If it needs tubes (as mentioned in PM, the skys the limit)."
You don't know what I paid for the bike so stop making assumptions about profit.
You don't know anything about my hands and how safe they are old sport! Let's leave it at that as I am sure it's just a miss understanding.

Thank you for quoting my reasoning for not wanting to take on the project as I saw it, it does at least confirm my previous post to you. Regardless of you realising it or not... :facepalm:

As for the rest we best leave it there as you suggest. The market did dictate its provenance in the end. and its saved. :LOL: :cool:

fattiman":3ckgkzkf said:
There you go again with the slander, you really need to stop that.

Libel, not slander!

I will start by saying I love British bikes, bikes like Lloyd, Yates and Roberts really ring my bell and so too would a true Orange made Orange like a Steve Wade Formula or Dynamo. However outsourced bikes leave me cold as it negates the skill of the real builder under a veneer of the re-branders paint (I know that won't win me friends...), so bear that in mind before you read the rest of my post....

I missed out on most of this but did that actually sell for £950? Wow! It's a custom Dave Yates with an orange paint job and when it's restored it'll be a custom Dave Yates with a reproduction orange paint job. What made this an Orange will be lost as the only unique element that this had over any other custom Dave Yates was the paint and decals.

One question though, what the hell is going on with the stem/bar combo? They are supposed to be beautifully fillet brazed but that one's been very industrially tig welded and then rattle-canned.

I'll end with a few words of wisdom a famous British frame builder once imparted on me:

'the best way to restore a 753 bike to new is to start with an unused 753 bike'

pete_mcc":1tx2zqc0 said:
I will start by saying I love British bikes, bikes like Lloyd, Yates and Roberts really ring my bell and so too would a true Orange made Orange like a Steve Wade Formula or Dynamo.

Agreed Pete. This is lovely and I bid more than I could afford due to wine fueled madness but the Formula I would not let go would be the Steve Wade built version. :cool: :cool: :cool: A proper Orange Orange.

Re:

I'm interested in the orange, its past and its future.
It sold for a lot of money in my opinion despite the work needed but we've all paid too much in the past for a personal unicorn/icon/thead winner......... I'm not interested in bickering though. thats not what retrobike is about. it would be great to see it surface here again.

End

RBG

Re: Re:

retrobikeguy":30mhbafn said:
I'm interested in the orange, its past and its future.
It sold for a lot of money in my opinion despite the work needed but we've all paid too much in the past for a personal unicorn/icon/thead winner......... I'm not interested in bickering though. thats not what retrobike is about. it would be great to see it surface here again.

End

RBG

Yeah, agreed. Hopefully it'll resurface some day.

Re:

Glad it sold through auction, best way to go, and pretty much what I offered so got that about right, which is stupidly pleasing :LOL:

Will be interested to see what happens with it. I think I'd have left it as is with a tidy up and some period parts to bring it back up to snuff as a show piece.

Looking forward to seeing it surface again.

There is a chap on the Facebook thread who posted a pic of his Yates formula a while back - very similar but fillet brazed, so that's both Yates spotted and three Donohues inc the black one in the Magazine article.

I agree with other posts on here - a wade built one would be the ultimate.

Fattiman did you get me that pic of the Formula Decal? If not please could you?

Re:

Bonkers thread! It was offered on here, didn't sell, went on eBay. Whoever bought it knew what he/she was buying and was happy to do so at the price. Done! Let's move on :D

Re: Re:

Gaddmeister":2bx0ec38 said:
Bonkers thread! It was offered on here, didn't sell, went on eBay. Whoever bought it knew what he/she was buying and was happy to do so at the price. Done! Let's move on :D

Just for clarity, it was offered on here but then pulled when the seller realised he'd set the price too low. ;)

Back