Which GPS unit for GPS racing?

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ive started getting into GPS MTB racing (or riding), but I'm finding my Garmin 20 is not really up to the job due to the absence of a map, something that is necessary when the route takes me through complex train/road junctions.

I've been unable to find a review or demonstration video on youtube that shows a GPS device being used for serious off road navigation, so I thought I'd ask here for advice on what's the best value unit that does a decent job of showing your where to go with the route overlaid on a useful map, which GPS units others here use, etc.

Thanks!

Some context, I'm currently training for two marathon events which are happening here in Portugal in May:

The Meda 100 Marathon http://www.meda100marathon.com/

The Bairrada Ultramarathon 150 km

Anything you can load an open source map to.

My GPS has everything down to footpaths and some goat tracks (not all of them, but many).

(I use garmin 810 with the most detailed OSM for my area.)

Not satellite images no, but i think it can do topographical stuff. Which i don't need to use, everything within 500km of here is pretty much flat (under 500m)

Think satellite imagery would require either an internet connection or some sort of monster memory and processor set up. Mobile phone on the bars.

I use a Garmin 520. You can load maps to it and follow preset courses. The screen is pretty small, but fine for my needs.

Like most Garmins, it comes with some pretty crappy maps installed (useless for off reading). However, you can load OSM maps to it which have most bridle and footpaths.

If you want a bigger screen for navigation, go for a Garmin 1000, or possibly and old 810 or 800 (though the screens are about the same res as the 520, so you may not be able to see anymore, it's just bigger!).

Have a look at www.dcrainmaker.com for incredibly comprehensive GPS reviews (he is a triantelope, but don't hold that against him), plus the details on how to load custom maps.

^ +1 on DCrainmaker, uterly brilliant reviews.

maybe the garmin edge ...1000, bu ot the regualr 1000 the 1000 Explore or something.

But the 1000, 1000 explore and 820 all seem to do mapping well, read the reviews see whats what.

Re:

Good point on the Explorer versions. If all you want is mapping and basic functions then they're cheaper than the ones that do all the cadence and power meter integration.

Back