11 speed cassette and shifter with 8 speed hub and mech?

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm toying with the idea of fitting an 11 speed 11-42 cassette (and 11 speed shifter) to my fatbike, which is currently running an 8 speed setup with long cage Acera rear mech and an 11-34 cassette, but which doesn't quite give low enough gearing to take full advantage of the high traction on super steep climbs.

Can I safely switch the cassette, rapid fire shifter and chain, or must I also change the rear mech (or additional parts)?

This is the bike, during a 45 km GPS orienteering race on the weekend:

16105862_10211510309174332_7214117725687054822_n-3.jpg

The rear mech uses a different actuation ratio to 8 speed (it changed when they moved from 9 to 10)

You may get away with a 10 speed mech, as i've heard (but not tried) that they match pull ratios. Nearly. Or with a bodge. But if you need to buy a new mech, just get the right one.

Shifter
Mech
Chain
Cassette

Pretty sure the 8 speed hub is still compatible. 7 speed was shorter.

Re:

As long as it's a Shimano 11 speed cassette then it'll fit an 8 speed hub. You'll still need to change the mech though, as has been said, the pull ratios are different.

As a slightly cheaper option to SLX 11 speed, I'm considering using a 10 speed Sunrace 11-40 or 11-42 cassette with 10 speed Deore shifter and rear mech. Anyone tried that or know if it will work?

Re:

That should, but you might need a RAD cage on the mech and a longer B-screw. SRAM 10sp rear mechs are reputedly more compatible with extended range cassettes.

Do you need to go 11 speed.?

I was planning to go 10 spd but could not find the hub to replace xd driver.

11 and 12 spd are expensive and have pushed price of 10 spd down.

Sunrace cassettes look like a good compromise of weight and price compared to shimamo (its what i got before the hub fiasco)

I just chanced upon this, a guy who makes custom sized sprockets for MTBs, including 38 t. Could be useful for building a custom cassette.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTB-Tools-38- ... M0j-loN23w

It's just a shame he's in the USA and the postage is so expensive from there.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
02gf74":34a5hu9r said:
Do you need to go 11 speed.?

I was planning to go 10 spd but could not find the hub to replace xd driver.

11 and 12 spd are expensive and have pushed price of 10 spd down.

Sunrace cassettes look like a good compromise of weight and price compared to shimamo (its what i got before the hub fiasco)

Agreed. I run 1x10 XT or SLX on my 88 Stumpjumper, 96 Stumpjumper, 2014 Stumpjumper and 2017 Fatboy Carbon Comp. Unless you have ALOT of climbing, or alot of extra cash to blow, 1x10 is typically enough IMO. Just get the correct front ring.

ultrazenith":1d3bmq5a said:
As a slightly cheaper option to SLX 11 speed, I'm considering using a 10 speed Sunrace 11-40 or 11-42 cassette with 10 speed Deore shifter and rear mech. Anyone tried that or know if it will work?

I run 11-42 10sp Sunrace cassettes on my Mukluk with an XT 11 speed rear derailleur, 10 speed SRAM chain and 28t WolfTooth narrowide ring up front. Works great.

Latest posts

Back