1999 Marin Palisades Trail Overhaul

I have 2 other forks in addition to the original RST. Which one would you say it's the best? I know they are all kind of cr*ppy:

1999 RST 381 sm
1999 Answer Manitou Magnum
1995-1999 Rockshox Judy c

In the process of stripping the anodizing. Decided to go with electrical sander and it's been about 2 full days of work... almost done. I like the "raw" look but it seems very vulnerable to dings and scratches:

vP6vTU1.jpg

dEQQRZH.jpg

One way to protect that aluminium is Pantene shampoo. It has silicone in it which forms a protective layer. A jeweller pal uses if for polishing silver in his shop and also on his Ducati.

Otherwise car wax works well too.

Per another's recommendation I was considering Wolfgang MetallWerk Concours Metal Sealant. This product seals but I doubt that it adds a protective layer.

Would you say I can apply Wolfgang first and then Pantene shampoo?

Thanks,
n

Re:

Started putting it together and I noticed that fork doesn't spin as freely. There's a faint grinding noise.

Any ideas what it could be?

All the same parts, same fork and added more grease too.

JXT1OKG.jpg

DI43YTVh.jpg

cHBsa6th.jpg

Headset probably too tight. You only need to put a tiny bit of load onto the top cap. Undo the top cap and stem clamp bolts, give the steerer a little tap to loosen the bearing and start again. The top cap is solely for bearing adjustment and has no structural function.

hamster":26d9nzl6 said:
Headset probably too tight. You only need to put a tiny bit of load onto the top cap. Undo the top cap and stem clamp bolts, give the steerer a little tap to loosen the bearing and start again. The top cap is solely for bearing adjustment and has no structural function.

That did it. I had to fiddle with it a bit to find the perfect setting where the fork turned freely but didn't wobble.

I now have another possible problem. I did order a new BB and installed it, but I see a small gap about 1mm or less on the left side. This is as tight as it could go, but it doesn't seem right.

Left side (you can see the gap):
eV6eovn.jpg

Right side, no gap:
RRGso9g.jpg

Is this acceptable?

Undo the main bb cartridge, tighten that cup until flush with frame, then put the main bb bit back in and tighten until super tight. Bolting the tool to the BB often helps but dont go too mad, the threads can strip. The main body of the BB will sit inside the cup and compress it a bit so it doesnt have the chance to move about.

BB's in alu frames often creak a bit after a few weeks riding so expect to get back in there with tools to re-tighten.

Some advise copperslip, others grease, I use a light oil.

Back