Who got the Orange Formula then?

RickTheUncivil":2keuxyea said:
fattiman":2keuxyea said:
Just like some people like to restore manky old ferraris or e type jaguars.....

thats why we joined this forum... well, thats what my wife thinks anyway :roll:

That's exactly what I thought! Very strange to talk about restoring a retro icon on a retro forum hey? I thought all old things stayed in as new condition forever! Have you seen the price of classic cars found in barns that are barely recognisable because they have rotted away, funnily enough there are plenty of people buying and restoring these for mega bucks!

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":13m9dwqu said:
Think of all those rust in pieces 'barn find' vintage cars that went to auction for a mint and were fully restored. It might be a rusty old bike but if it's valued as piece of British mountain biking history, then it has some worth. As Retrobike's Sinnerman once said about this Formula:

"Orange are the Last of a special Era, and this is as close as it gets to that Era's beginning...!!!"

Well said, you posted just before I did - you are very much on the same page as myself!

Re: Re:

fattiman":kwxvo5bh said:
groovyblueshed":kwxvo5bh said:
Think of all those rust in pieces 'barn find' vintage cars that went to auction for a mint and were fully restored. It might be a rusty old bike but if it's valued as piece of British mountain biking history, then it has some worth. As Retrobike's Sinnerman once said about this Formula:

"Orange are the Last of a special Era, and this is as close as it gets to that Era's beginning...!!!"

Well said, you posted just before I did - you are very much on the same page as myself!

Cheers! Being an Orange fan, I'm probably biased but depending on points of view, the bike can either be seen as rust dust or gold dust. I've had a chance to revisit the several Formula threads. Myself, I'm coming down on the view that this Formula has a certain place in Orange's history and British mountain biking's heritage and therefore should be treasured. Obviously, a high selling price might count out most punters and then the amount and cost of restoration work required might further put punters off. Hopefully it will go to someone who cares and wants to keep it as a complete bike and piece of heritage. But it would be a shame to see it not preserved, valued or lost – I could see it lined up between the Tushinghams and lineage of Orange development:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/factory-visi ... tory-tour/

I would say it's worth it the bike, if it wasn't for moving and not currently having the finances at the moment, I would of bidded much higher, despite the cost of resto work needed. It's probably only valuable to a small group of enthusiasts, but all the same it's worth what someone is willing to pay.

Re:

Did this actually sell in the end or was the last bid nothing more than a bump to get the price up....?

Re:

Don't know Carl. I was bidding up to the last minute and 931 was my final bid. As mentioned, never made the highest bid so whoever did put it in early.

Re:

Maybe the seller can confirm whether it sold?
Might even know if the buyer is on Retrobike or not?

fattiman":2wbikudh said:
RickTheUncivil":2wbikudh said:
fattiman":2wbikudh said:
Just like some people like to restore manky old ferraris or e type jaguars.....

thats why we joined this forum... well, thats what my wife thinks anyway :roll:

That's exactly what I thought! Very strange to talk about restoring a retro icon on a retro forum hey? I thought all old things stayed in as new condition forever! Have you seen the price of classic cars found in barns that are barely recognisable because they have rotted away, funnily enough there are plenty of people buying and restoring these for mega bucks!

So Did it actually sell in the end....???

Back