Anodising question ?

d8mok

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've finally found a nice 16inch Zaskar to start a build on. It was actually being sold by a good friend of mine on eBay so we've done a deal and I get it soon.

Ideally i wanted a purple anodised one but they never seem to come up for sale so is it possible to have a ball burnished one anodised and can anyone recommend anywhere? Bike is a 97 model if that makes any difference.

If it's too much trouble I'll probably leave it BB or maybe talk to our local painter about options.

Thanks

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yes that's the one. I may leave it as it is and keep searching for a purple one at same time.

They are probably all ball burnished, it's probably the cheapest way to finish them.
I suggested A1 anodising for anodising some cranks, the thread continued and
the bloke said he had asked about frames, not that I can remember what they
said but I have seen ali fabrications about 8 feet long in their shop. Look up anodising
on here, include me as a member in the search.

Re:

I think the main issue with anodising frames (other than size) is the welding rod that's been used. Some types don't take the colour very well, but I would assume that as all of the Zaskar frames of that era would have started off being ball burnished & then some would have gone for anodising it shouldn't be an issue. Can't see they'd have had two different rods for welding the frames.

The only way to know for sure though is to give it a go. You'll need to get the frame as well polished as possible. It might be worth asking the anodisers (once you've found one, how much they'd charge for doing the prep work.

Thanks for replies.

I've called a couple of places today local and they say they will try. However they both asked if the frame has any steel content. This echoes what's been said and what I've read online

Re:

The canti studs should just screw in to the aluminum mounting block that is welded to the frame. There should be a set of wrench flats for this.

Bottle cage mounts look like rivnuts. They are usually aluminum, but steel ones are available. If they're steel, they should be easy to drill out and remove.

Got the frame yesterday and it's too nice to mess about with so it's staying BB. I'll keep a eye out for a purple one still.

So now onto the build options. .....

Can't decide whether to go

XTR everything , spin wheels, Judy sl, etc or just go XT and some mavic/hope rims with some nice rigid forks.

Wanting nice condition parts but not wanting to go overboard in terms of cost. I'd prefer good condition XT to a worn out XTR.

A major issue I've uncovered is size. Many batch anodizers simply don't have the equipment to do bike frames but I'm sure some do for motorcycles, car parts etc.

Back