Which make of MTB would be best for touring rough terain?

Re:

Hi all,

Don't suppose anyone else has a perfect sized frame for this purpose that they want to sell me? I'm 6ft2" and going with Justin on this trip to India!

Also as another matter, does anyone have any experience of dyno hubs? A friend who did a big tour recently on one and I rode his bike today and it seemed to have no resistance! But is that a fallacy that I will realise in the himalayas??

Cheers - Jack.

The latest and greatest dyno hubs are a world apart from the horrible tyre eating crap of the 80's and 90's.

Even at full load the drag is not hugely noticeable. And at zero load. It's just a slightly heavy hub.
Have a bit of a google, you'll find hubs at many price points and levels of reliability. But i'd buy soon and run in it/check it out before you actually start your trip!

No, i'm short, no spare frames ;)

I built a wheel with the latest XT dyno last year, both for lighting and USB charging. I wouldn't go back to battery lights and it's extremely handy when touring.

It's not noticeable on drag (and it's a tourer anyway!) so I tend to run the front light all the time now.

I'm in the process of putting together something like this, univega alpina pro frame as seen here with triple bottlecage bosses, ovalised dt and maximum mudclearance stays... viewtopic.php?t=150327
969 chromo just like a thorn but at a fraction of the cost, a tad small for me as i'm huge but it might just fit you...
Now with bomb solid kona copy p2 forks with lowrider bosses midleg, super pimp headset mishmash and truvativ stylo cranks and bb.....

Chris King 2Nut Threaded Headset 1 1/8 inch

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a new headset for my Raleigh Yukon, which is what I intend to cycle tens of thousands of miles on to India and on a tour around western Africa...so I was thinking of a Chris King 2Nut Threaded Headset 1 1/8 inch. I have quite a few questions though!

1. What is the stack height of a Chris King 2Nut Threaded Headset 1 1/8 inch?
2. I have measured from the fork crown race to where the lower pressed race would enter the head tube, and then from where upper pressed race would enter the head tube to the top of the steering column when the top race is not attached and I think this gives me a stack height of 33mm which I have heard was common on 90s mountain bikes (which I think the Raleigh Yukon is). - Will the 2Nut be compatible with my forks?
3. Are there any credible and durable alternatives to Chris King? I want them to be durable but they are reeeeeeally expensive and I haven't worked out if the stack height will be compatible.
4. Does anyone have a second hand one they wanna sell me?!

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Re:

Chris king are excellent don't get me wrong..but if a cartridge bearing fails half way across Mongolia you are stuffed. Why not get a good cup and cone headset and keep it well serviced. You should be able to get loose bearings in most hardware shops/ garages throughout the world.

Re:

I think the likelihood of a Chris King headset failing in the first place are somewhat minimal though. I had a chat with a bike shop mechanic one time about a conversation he'd had with Chris King about a dodgy headset that somebody had brought in.

Bike Shop Guy: Hi, we've got one of your headsets here that seems to be broken.

Chris King Guy: No it's not.

Bike Shop Guy. Seriously, I think it's broken.

Chris King Guy: No it's not.

Bike Hop Guy: Oh wait, the problem is it's not been put together properly.

Chris King Guy: Smug

Re:

What do you mean..They wear like any other headset does. All I was saying if you need parts fast I doubt AVT have priority shipping to Tibet :)

Back