Shimano Deore Thumbshifter Rebuild/Mod Guide

Hi again,

I just did a guide for the XTR M900 shifters an I was thinking about using the wiki section to collect all those usefull howtos.
Because in the forum, such usefull info just disappears after a few weeks and everybody forgets about it.
Maybe you want to join and convert your guide into the wiki?

Thias":2skdxvla said:
I just did a guide for the XTR M900 shifters an I was thinking about using the wiki section to collect all those usefull howtos.
Because in the forum, such usefull info just disappears after a few weeks and everybody forgets about it.
Maybe you want to join and convert your guide into the wiki?
Good stuff.

When I did my guide I made enquires about how to add them to the Wiki but didn't get very far and then lost interest. Looks like it's locked down so ordinary users can't just create new articles.

If you figure it out let me know!

I wrote to one of the moderators one week ago to ask about the creation issue. No answer yet..
But I added a new category to the wiki anyhow. ;)
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/wiki/Category:Shimano_Howtos
And created a page for you. If you log in, you will be able edit it.

But maybe you want to wait until I get an answer.

I should write another message. To the owner maybe? What was his username? John?

Update. Just got an answer from John. He said he would be glad for everyone adding to the wiki. So fire away I say :LOL:

Maybe I should add a template somewhere, so its easy to add a page with somewhat similar looks to the rest of the howtos?

Thanks for the guide. Excuse the amateurish question, but which parts should I re-grease... all internals?

A light coating of non freezing grease on all parts will be fine. It will also protect the metal from rust.

Have any of you come across replacement Deore DX 7 speed SIS top caps or stickers?
My thumbshifters work well but the sticker came of the left one.

I did not, but here is my solution:

Those are crown caps that I filed down. As you can see, the coke cap fits better, that beer cap is a tad too small. I simply hot glued them in place, so I can remove them If I ever feel the need to. :D

Thias":351c8tpl said:
I did not, but here is my solution:

Those are crown caps that I filed down. As you can see, the coke cap fits better, that beer cap is a tad too small. I simply hot glued them in place, so I can remove them If I ever feel the need to. :D
Ha ha, exellent!

last time i used DX thumbies without the caps, i buffed the top with some wire wool and autosol to get them nice and shiny. Looks really good.

Back