Anyone else found their retroness has waned.....?!

Re:

A) I'm bored of the same old builds on here, I'd like to see more custom stuff.

2)I haven't been on a bike ride other than with the kids for 9 months but I'm going on Sunday.

C) I bought a yo yo... I've used it 4 times.

4) I play Clash Royale on my phone cause it's always dark.

So therefore my advice would be build him a bike win win win!

Kyle

Kids, families etc all intrude. The thing that keeps me interested is riding - if you don't enjoy that then what's the point?

Chasing a guy on a full susser for 3 miles yesterday down my local singletrack on my rigid retro singlespeed was great fun. Likewise I keep up no trouble with the similarly old gits I ride with.

Personally I hate the whole wall hanger thing, you might as well collect model trains.

The two bikes I've built up with 2014 Deore 10 speed new out of the box went together with barely a tweak. Yawn. The modern kit is good, but so good that rides become undemanding. It's like the BMW 320d that trounces an E-type in every way...functional but dreary.

Mine waned when I bought a modern bike and found it pushed me to ride better and faster than I ever have done. I still have a rigid SS but it's a steel Voodoo with discs (nothing could persuade me to go back to rim brakes!) - though it is based on late '90s Kona geometry so it's as close to a retrobike as I'm likely to get!

I still like the aesthetics of older stuff, but for riding hard and fast it just doesn't compare. It's also a total myth that riding a modern FS automatically makes you lazy and stops you picking lines - you still can, they're just different lines, and you have to choose them faster!

Re:

Nobody rides rim-braked, non-sussed retro-bikes purely because of their performance capabilities ... as the newer hydraulic disc-braked full-suss machines will out-perform them all day long.

Its like trying to compare driving a beautifully re-built (to concours perfect) 1969 Chevy Camero SS 396 muscle car (or a Super-B with a Hemi) ... to driving around in a 2016 Lambo ...

the newer car will out-perform the sixties muscle machine all day long, stats-wise .... but the American muscle will attract way more passers-by to stop and look, than will the new toy ... and there's just something totally visceral about the sound of a highly built American V-8 singing it's song!

In terms of mountain bikes I've only ever ridden old bikes, so don't know what I've missed.. but agree with K- rod, they will never out perform a modern machine, but that's not what it's really about. I've bought a modern road bike purely because I do a bit of competitive racing, but have no desire to get s modern mtb, not that I particularly dislike them, I just don't do enough tough harsh off roading to invest in such a beast. although have been tempted on a Santa Cruz or a Five .. My desire for retro stuff is still strong, although it does come at a cost, time, constantly tweeking, finding or replacing worn out parts.. Sometimes I do ponder, weather its easier just have bikes that you can just jump on and ride.. but hell where's the fun in that!

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":84l6bj00 said:
Nice bike. One thing that kinda deflates the passion is regularly having to fix punctures. I've had a bad run of them recently and almost given up. Normally, it's been one or two in a blue moon during a couple of years. Now, it's one every other day sometimes, or one in the front & the rear same day/different times, or three times in the same tyre 15 minutes apart with the journey being completed on foot and train. I ran out of proper puncture repair patches so I now carry alcohol wipes, scissors and a roll of Gorrilla Tape – which has been revelation. A 25mm square patch of Gorrilla Tape has got me home or (unfortunately) into work, and it's stayed fixed. Key is clean the tube and warm the tape so it's gooey and tacky.

Here's the blunt end of cm long glass shard...
You must be feeling really deflated. :(

Gaddmeister":38b5c6nf said:
groovyblueshed":38b5c6nf said:
Nice bike. One thing that kinda deflates the passion is regularly having to fix punctures. I've had a bad run of them recently and almost given up. Normally, it's been one or two in a blue moon during a couple of years. Now, it's one every other day sometimes, or one in the front & the rear same day/different times, or three times in the same tyre 15 minutes apart with the journey being completed on foot and train. I ran out of proper puncture repair patches so I now carry alcohol wipes, scissors and a roll of Gorrilla Tape – which has been revelation. A 25mm square patch of Gorrilla Tape has got me home or (unfortunately) into work, and it's stayed fixed. Key is clean the tube and warm the tape so it's gooey and tacky.

Im tired of that recycled joke. You've let yourself down.

02gf74":2apq8h8h said:
Gaddmeister":2apq8h8h said:
groovyblueshed":2apq8h8h said:

Im tired of that recycled joke. You've let yourself down.

That joke is so bad it makes me want to punchya :facepalm:

In terms of the topic, I'm certainly waning from time to time, now is a good example. I think it stems from having too many projects, too much clutter in the garage and ultimately chasing the next bike or part.

My aim is to reduce the fleet and appreciate and ride what I keep. There will be a couple of retro steeds, a couple of modern and a road bike, plus perhaps a special project, just because. When I think about that, even 5 bikes sounds like too many (not including the folding one), so what was I thinking with the more than double figures collection? I do find it hard to let bikes go though.

Latest posts

Back