Any specialized geeks that can help date this?

dubya3

Dirt Disciple
A few months ago I picked up an old Stumpjumper for cheap from the second owner. He said it was a 91 but wasn't sure.
I think it's definitely a 92 or 93 based on the serial number starting with 92 (my 96 Stumpjumper starts with 96) or 93 because of the Rapidfire LX 3x7 shifters but the color throws me way off.

I've seen pictures of a very similar color but I think it was on a 94 Stumpjumper FS, and mine is obviously rigid. Here are the details:

-Specialized GX23 rims w/Deore hubs
-full 3x7 Rapidfire LX M560 group
-Tange Prestige tubing
-made in Japan

I emailed Specialized and after a month they got back to me and all they said was "early 90s".....duh

I can only get one picture to upload but it shows the serial number and at least the unique color. Frame and fork are both that metallic green

Attachments

• 20161112_170513-747x1328.jpg
    20161112_170513-747x1328.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 626
A better view would help - like the whole bike, a lot can be deduced from decals.

I had a 1992 Stumpy Comp, loved that bike, still looking for another.

Can't find a single pic of a 1991, 92 or 93 Stumpy in that green colour. Serial number might not mean much, don't think the steel bikes changed much 1991 through 1995.

Re:

Serial numbers on spesh bikes don't mean anything.
You have to date the by tube sizes and type etc.

I've always heard the serial number didn't mean anything but I've had more than one early-mid 90s specialized that the number started with a 9x and it corresponded with the year. Maybe just a coincidence, who knows.

Re:

I think you might have a late 1993 bike, a running change mid-season on the paint maybe, because I never saw another that colour.

1993 was the last year of the 1" threaded fork on the base Stumpy, 1994 the frame had a 1-1/8" headtube with a threadless setup.

M560 LX was only specced on 1993 and 1994 bikes, and yours clearly has the 1" quill stem.

Full spec here, though no paint colours, frustratingly: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... ;Type=bike

These bikes ride remarkably well for a mass produced frame, light and responsive. I have a 1999 M2XX which is very nice, but really doesn't have the same feel.

Have fun!

EDIT: A more precise search turned up just one other in the same colour, with Future Shock installed, posted in a Stumpjumper M2 picture thread on MTBR for some reason:

939710d1416247344-official-m2-stumpjumper-hardtail-thread-specialized-stumpjumper-steel-1.jpg

Re: Re:

mechagouki":22jscypp said:
I think you might have a late 1993 bike, a running change mid-season on the paint maybe, because I never saw another that colour.

1993 was the last year of the 1" threaded fork on the base Stumpy, 1994 the frame had a 1-1/8" headtube with a threadless setup.

M560 LX was only specced on 1993 and 1994 bikes, and yours clearly has the 1" quill stem.

Full spec here, though no paint colours, frustratingly: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... ;Type=bike

These bikes ride remarkably well for a mass produced frame, light and responsive. I have a 1999 M2XX which is very nice, but really doesn't have the same feel.

Have fun!

EDIT: A more precise search turned up just one other in the same colour, with Future Shock installed, posted in a Stumpjumper M2 picture thread on MTBR for some reason:

939710d1416247344-official-m2-stumpjumper-hardtail-thread-specialized-stumpjumper-steel-1.jpg

If I wasn't engaged I'd tell you I love you! LOL

The color is what has been totally throwing me off. I knew the M560 was a 93+ group, and 1" threaded + Tange early 90s but there are literally no other pictures of my bike I can find online.

I was going to have it repainted in the metallic pinkish color from 92 (I think) and buy some new decals from Gil but I'm not sure. If the decals weren't cleared over I'd just buy new decals and keep the unique paint.

Right now the bike is about 20% original with GX23/Deore wheels off a 89 Stumpjumper, Nitto riser stem from 1986 & bars off a 2000 Hardrock, XT M739 brake levers & calipers, XT M739 rear mech, Shimano HG90 7 speed cassette, original M560 crank & Wolftooth 34t NW ring, DX MT62 thumbie shifter.... it's essentially a "I need more beer and can't drive the truck" 1x7 bike right now :)

It's a frankenbike but you're right, it's a ride in can't describe. I have other steel Stumpjumpers, M2, M4 and M5 Stumpjumpers but this one feels right. Now I feel like restoring it to original....

My 1992 was the pink colour (the Comp model - DX equipped), I have just one picture of it from back in the day:

stumpjumpercomp.jpg

That's my favorite solid color! I'll probably get mine painted that color eventually but I change my mind so much it's not funny. Hopefully I can just buy an original 92 in that color.

BTW, my pink/aqua 89 stumpy is dx equipped, any idea if that's base or comp? I assumed it was base because it's not designated though.

Back