What Grips when bar ends installed

nbcord

Dirt Disciple
I think I'm going to sound silly, but....

If I were to install bar ends what shall I do with the grips, cut them back or are there shortened, 'bar end considerate' grips out there?

:facepalm:

I run bar ends on pretty much everything. When I fit them I just move everything inwards a bit.

Trouble I have is I like my brake levers a long way in so I can only just get 2 fingers on them. So if the bars a particularly narrow they virtually meet in the middle and it makes the cable loops quite tight. If there is no other way sometimes I trim both ends of the grips a bit or just take off the hole end bit at each end, not ideal as I have big hands.

You can get grips with an integrated bar end hole but just cut down standard grips. You can also get shorter lock on grips.

Re:

Yeah just (carefully) cut down standard grips if you feel they're too big.
You could just leave them normal length and simply chop off the very end, or fit them and (gently) tap the ends with a soft hammer (nylon hammer?), end of the bars will act like a cookie cutter and take off only what you don't need.
Or you could use Grip Shit grips, as they have no end caps and are shorter than regular grips.

Thanks all for the feedback, it's much appreciated.
I think I'll try with some old grips first!
I need hairspray too by all accounts!

Re:

I never really got the hairspray thing. GT85 always seems to work for me.

hairspray is tacky/sticky when it dries, so it stops the grips slipping. GT85 is a lubricant, so even when it dries they'll still spin round on the the bars.

When cut & butted up to bar-ends, imo grips need to be round & reasonably slim.

For example some Onza porcipaws or Ules would look good, but something fat & hexagonal shaped like a Ritchey true grip could look a bit naff when cut. Just my opinion.

Back