Suntour cassette removal

Two, if my memory serves me correctly, and the freehub is accessed through the axle from the non-drive side.....but I may be talking b.....

You need two chain whips to remove the cassette as the lock ring is also the last one or two cogs depending on the cassette you have.

Re:

Yup two whips and if you wanna remove the freehub body its a 10mm from the non drive side with the axle removed

To hell with all that I'll just clean it on the wheel

Cheers though guys

Re:

Like others said, the small cog acts as the lock ring. You don't necessarily need two whips though, you can try to use the chain to hold the big cog tight with someone holding the pedal and use the whip on the small cog.

Are you sure it's not a freewheel though? My XC Pro hubs/wheels from 1990-91 use a 7 speed freewheel that is removed with a park tool 4 prong bit.

Re: Re:

dubya3":jnhms1sb said:
Like others said, the small cog acts as the lock ring. You don't necessarily need two whips though, you can try to use the chain to hold the big cog tight with someone holding the pedal and use the whip on the small cog.

Are you sure it's not a freewheel though? My XC Pro hubs/wheels from 1990-91 use a 7 speed freewheel that is removed with a park tool 4 prong bit.

That I think, I'll get a pic in a min

This is my Suntour 7 speed freewheel

Note the area where the lockring would be on a modern cassette, it takes a 4 prong bit to unscrew the freewheel.

Attachments

• 20161126_171233-747x1328.jpg
    20161126_171233-747x1328.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 581
Back