Hope disc timeline

Si_33":1i0hcdlg said:
This was a happy discovery in a pile of old magazines recently acquired (many thanks gradeAfailure) - scanned from Mountain Biking USA - January 1994.

24499929125_8caa3e588f_b.jpg

23873101073_acdc8a5a30_b.jpg

23871693794_e0fe7fd719_b.jpg

Very interesting; I have a Manitou 4 'disc' fork; no canti mounts, no cable stop on the arch and what looks to be the same mount as shown earlier in the thread on the 95 Judy's (right leg). They're later than the forks shown in the above pic and basically have normal M4 dropouts with the Hope adapter. Will get some pics.
Have no really early hope brakes though but am considering seeing if I can make an adapter for a later hope caliper.

Kevhl":nrfqvytz said:

I think thats just a case of a single size leg mount with smaller sized shims dependent upon leg diameter. Two types of mount to my knowledge. This the early one then a 2-piece clamp but the same oversized then shimmed down.

Also need to keep in mind these were custom fits which you fettled using tape and other things to bring it to the nearest size and clamped tight, rather than an exact fit in a bolt on and go formula we have today. :?
Ive sold this early stuff then had to convince the buyer that it does fit, but hes needed to final fettle himself

That's what I figured; what's thrown me more is the fact I've never seen a manitou like this; only the Sachs specific versions.

Hope No. 1 like this along with a wheel would be what's needed: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/232308369346

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Welcome to the worst place on Earth to find something then discover there's little info on it :LOL:

Got a tandem rear to add to my collection
Info -
Is identical to the early large flange hub -'91?, pre Ti glide, with the 5 bolt spider interface, only with a longer axle and in place of the 5 bolt spider interface its a screw on mounting for a drum/drag brake.

I'll post some pics up later.

This will be the forerunner to the other tandem that looks like a cross between a bulb and a sport( for its full depth rotor mounts)

Latest posts

Back