Anyone else found their retroness has waned.....?!

Re: Re:

retrobikeguy":306gl36d said:
We all have a lull at some point in our lives, they can be for many interests and any reason. mine was for here a few years ago at the end of a long relationship, its just a lull, and a case of other things take a more important role.... understandable.

I never left though, lurked for a while.... and came back into building more and more when the time was right.

RBG

Yep this sums it up for me.. There is so many factors, finances, life commitments, time, the list goes on :facepalm:
I have always loved bikes since the age of 10 , but personal circumstances from 2006-2014 did not allow for me to enjoy my hobbies, or spend any money for myself. But I gravitated back, I think a lot people delve in and out with interests, that's life I guess...

Re:

Having got into retro a few years back (having had a break from cycling for much longer), I now find I ride more modern stuff... I still have a small retro fleet but the majority of my mileage is done on a modern x bike (commuter). I'm also building up a modern Cotic Bfe as well. It's noticeable how easy modern build are... not messing about with worn old kit etc...

Oh, and I took up metal detecting as well... which is also ace.

Still dip in here plenty though...

Re:

My problem has always been having bikes I don't ride. It's fine for a while but I find if any bike sits there unused for long I think about getting rid. As I don't have the time atm to go on the organised retro rides and my two main riding buddies both left retro behind years ago I'm left with very little opportunity to get the old girls out so they're first in line when I have a cull.

If I had a big showroom it wouldn't matter and I'd happily just look at them all but it seems a shame to have lots of lovely old bikes in pieces in my damp garage. Must admit my passion for tinkering with old bikes isn't what it was either so builds take a long time. There's only so many builds you can make with your favourite groupsets before it all gets a bit samey.

Not at all, half way through putting together a small new space for bikes. Exciting times, organising everything, sofa, tools, paraphernalia, bicycles, components, cleaning up, freshen up for a new build spurt, be nice to have a space for pride of place. at long last.

I admit that my interest in building up and riding my retro mountain bikes has waned in the past year or two, for a few reasons:

I have got more into road bikes (including a couple of retro road bikes).

I am quite mean and like getting bargains. Reasonably priced old bikes are getting harder to find.

I volunteer one day a week at a community bike workshop so get plenty of opportunity to build/repair older bikes, in a well-equipped workshop with great colleagues who have similar interests.

Re:

Be assured Kaz, we will still love you when you decide to return. We'll still be here posting the same old Kak.

Re:

Ha - wasn't all that long ago, if'n I recall correctly, that Kaz was proffering how "fulfilled and happy she was", with her "bike bits and on-line conversations" ... and didn't 'need' a proper (physical) relationship to keep her amused" ...

and now, she's droppin' the retro-gang like a hot potater, just cause she's found some handsome loafer with whom to confab. and snuggle.

:xmas-wink:

Re:

Ha ha! Yes I keep meaning to find that thread and post it up again...... :oops:
So many people said in it, when you meet the right one, blah blah blah......

It's been nearly 7 months now, and I've kept it quiet because, well, it's personal to me, obviously, but actually I can't quite believe it's happening to be honest. However, things like that do make you reassess completely - even before he came along, I wasn't riding at all, what I was doing was throwing myself into building and obsessing over bikes in every spare moment I had, and I do wonder now if they were just a distraction/addiction.

But, on the flip side, if they were, they've been that for over 30 years, one way or another. I spent 20 years as a cycle mechanic, not always full time, but involved with bikes never the less. Perhaps it really has just run it's course? I get the distinct impression that several members on here recognise my dilemna and have been there, or are there, or have come back from being there....so I won't lose the faith, whatever happens! :xmas-wink:

Back