How to get Custom, Correct Elastomers for your Proflex!

34henry3w

Retro Guru
Hi Everyone,

Please see pics related to this in my posts for my 854, 855 and 856 which are linked in my signature below

As any proflex collector knows, finding replacement elastomers is a difficult task. I was not satisfied with the options out there so I went on a mission to find something better. I am pretty sure I have suceeded. I did a google search for "urethane elastomers ontario", and a company called Polymark Manufacturing came up:

http://www.polymark.ca

I called them and explained what i was after. They said they can do any colour, any size, and durometer, but they only will do a 12'' long tube. I figured this was fine and I would just cut them down myself. After understanading the shrinkage ratio, I ordered the elastomers. Note that THE 856 ODS shock shaft IS A SMALLER INNER DIAMETER THAN THE 854 OR 855:

PROFLEX 854
Outside Diameter (Inches ) 1 5/8''
Inside Diameter (Inches) 1/2''
Length 12''
Colour: Solid Yellow
Durometer: 30 to 60, increasing of multiples of 10 (You must choose!)

PROFLEX 855
Inside Diameter (Inches) 1/2''
Length 12''

PROFLEX 856
Inside Diameter (Inches) 13/32''
Length 12''

The cost per 12'' long elastomer was $40 CDN ($38 USD). This is a great price, as with a two tubes (40 and 60 for me) I could do TWO full bikes, meaning they are $40 per bike. This is less then half the price incorrect translucent ones sell for online, BUT of course, you have to cut them yourself!

To cut you need a chop saw with a 24 to 30 tooth 6 to 7 inch blade. I ruined the first one as it flexed as I cut it. I solved this problem by inserting a wooden down into the tube while cutting. This stiffened up for a clean cut. Be sure to wear a mask...

So, I will leave you all with the following words of caution:
1-It is probably better that all of you find an elastomer company near your home country to do what Polymark did for me, as they are a bit grumpy, couldn't care less about bikes, hate the fact that my orders are so small and nitpicky BUT ABOVE ALL THEY ONLY ACCEPT PAYMENT BY CHECK ON DELIVERY!! You have to hand a check to the delivery man..That's right, no Paypal, no credit cards..I highly doubt they would ship international.
2-I have no idea to the longevity of these elastomers and this is still a science experiment...For all I know they could explode next week, They seem great, but who knows...I am not a chemist!

Best of luck to you all.

Re:

They are doing well. If I did it again i would go with a slightly lower durometer as they are a bit too stiff.

Re: Re:

Here for the 18 month update... ;)

34henry3w":zolviovh said:
They are doing well. If I did it again i would go with a slightly lower durometer as they are a bit too stiff.

Which durometer did you go for and if you don't mind, what's your weight?

....... my recent proflex aquisition means i am looking at springs for the dampers. Not found anything off the shelf that fits so one option is custom made spring, second is seeing if the spring from the cheap £ 8 ebay shock can be used. ... work in progress, may end up nowhere......

Re:

Hey..

I did 40 and 60 and weigh 230 pounds. they are a bit too stiff for off road use but perfect for road use. I would probably go 40 / 25ish if I did it again.

Re:

Hi, you stated that your elastomer durometers were 40/25, is that for rear/front or do you use the different stiffness in the one stack for a wider range of response?

I just got my hands on a 1997 Reptile and have located a local plastics firm who can do custom elastomer tubes. I've been able to find precious little on what elastomer durometers would be suitable.

Back