Anyone else found their retroness has waned.....?!

Re:

I think a nail has been hit on the head there, I definitely feel I get no peace when I have this kind of weird emotional responsibility for all the bikes, frames, half built things, that are lying around the workshop.

Getting rid and getting out for a while definitely appeals, not least because I simply can't afford to have any money tied up in things at the moment, unless they are being used every day or at least regularly. The bikes aren't and haven't been for a long time.

Its all too easy to get carried away with the bits-n-pieces acquisition part of the effort, as each time you make that find and purchase ... you get an endorphin/dopamine 'hit' ... its a tiny rush (a 'victory'). Of course, the more subtle and deeper-running satisfaction that standing back to admire a finished build, if it turned out well, is more sublime and long-lasting ... but even that too can wane, if the machine isn't used once in a while for the purpose for which it was intended (whatever the builder's desire was).

Measured action, balanced acquisition, and carefully meted valuations of bits and builds ... as well as the occasional gloat-full actual use of the finished projects one has on hand.

Re:

I've feng shui'd my collection down to one bike and the parts that are on it. I only had one bike bitd and I loved to tinker and get the buzz of buying new bits for it. I had loads of time on my hands back then, however, have very limited now. I did feel guilty for unfinished bikes etc, but now enjoy the hour or so to myself on a night tinkering, looking for an upgrade and being on the forum.....with a glass of wine. :D

Is it fun ?
Yes
Does it keep you young strong and healthy
Yes(well maybe those knees :?)
Are you doing something worthwhile with your allotted time ?
Yes
Can you take it all with you ?
No.

So whats the problem ?

Enjoy something you enjoy and dont worry about the rest of it, this is cheap really. Boats, classic cars, motorbikes, trucks, VW campers or mopeds. Within 6 months you'd be obsessing there and spending 3x the amount.
HYonestly, Ive tried it. A bit of time passes and you start on something else.

Re:

Think Dyna-ti's points neatly puts the existential angst into perspective. May be it's a blessing that I'm restricted to just the one [retro] bike. Mind you, in order to keep on the road, I do spend a fair time maintaining and fettling it on a weekly basis. After a couple of months of solid biking, it gets to a point where I can't face it, so I take a 2-3 weeks off and treat myself to the hell of commuting by public transport – with this and the cost of it, I'm then champing at the bit to get back on the bike and feel the freedom and the rushing wind on my face again.

For me rescuing old bikes gives me a good sense of wellbeing and is great for our planet, I don't do them all for me and will often sell them on but love riding those that are special to me, that's why I do it.

I'm lucky to have some top end bikes I had no chance of owning BITD but any bike gives me pleasure as long as it was a quality item in its time, just rebuilt this one to Karma ;)

It'll be at the place in Taunton Kaz come Christmas.

Re:

Nice bike. One thing that kinda deflates the passion is regularly having to fix punctures. I've had a bad run of them recently and almost given up. Normally, it's been one or two in a blue moon during a couple of years. Now, it's one every other day sometimes, or one in the front & the rear same day/different times, or three times in the same tyre 15 minutes apart with the journey being completed on foot and train. I ran out of proper puncture repair patches so I now carry alcohol wipes, scissors and a roll of Gorrilla Tape – which has been revelation. A 25mm square patch of Gorrilla Tape has got me home or (unfortunately) into work, and it's stayed fixed. Key is clean the tube and warm the tape so it's gooey and tacky.

Here's the blunt end of cm long glass shard...

Attachments

• the shard.jpg
    the shard.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 374
Re:

We all have a lull at some point in our lives, they can be for many interests and any reason. mine was for here a few years ago at the end of a long relationship, its just a lull, and a case of other things take a more important role.... understandable.

I never left though, lurked for a while.... and came back into building more and more when the time was right.

RBG

Back