Anyone else found their retroness has waned.....?!

Re:

:x :x this is how it makes me feel, i would like to say from time to time but its started to increase. ok so i dont ride,but that does not mean i dont have passion for what i do. not a lot of you know me but when i see a nice old bike that needs saving and needs new life breathing into it ,thats what i do 99% of the time.

people may think i only do it to make money but out of the 8 or so that i have finished i think i have only sold 2,the others i cant seem to part with.if anything saving these bikes is doing the retro scene a service. also another thing that keeps me on a downer it the "how much is my xyz worth" section,do these questions go to some far off distant planet and were waiting for contact from it.

another thing is mtb chat. i put a topic on last week asking about ballistic frames and out of 80 odd views not one reply, someone some where must know something about them on here.

on the other hand i suppose im very lucky as two of my friends both run bike shops, so usually i get first refusal on things at good prices.if it wasn't for these guys i think i would of packed in by now. :xmas-wink:

Re:

I can honestly say it's been a combination of a few things but someone posted my approach to the scene. More selective and careful on what I spend my $$ on. I've shed most of my bikes and focussed on my final 3 builds!

Re:

What? 29er #5? It's an outrage! ;) Actually, I have been giving serious consideration to the idea of a pared down 29er for marginal speed gains to reduce my commute times – I have seen how fast these things can travel. Mind you, I was well and truly out-smoked by someone on a fat bike recently.

One other thought I have is what happens to the accumulated wealth of knowledge and heritage when the Retrobike generation moves on or is no longer able to ride?

Re:

Like any passion/hobby it peaks & flows.. I personally find I like to tinker with bikes more in the Winter time, and ride more in the Spring/Summer. I have had the luxury of never riding a modern MTB, 1994 is the most modern machine I have had the pleasure to ride :facepalm:
So what you don't know you dont miss..
With road bikes I am a lot more flexible and prefer to ride a fairly modern machine..As I like clocking up high mileages with these, and comfort and efficiency is more in favour. Although I do own 2 retro roadies but not so keen on using them in all honesty :oops:
I think my passion for retro bikes will continue for some time, I have recently bought a load of mbuk's and Mountain biker mags between 90-93 (my favorite era) and a nice trip down nostalgia lane :D .. Unfortunately, this has opened my eyes to other brands again, so the Orange Collection will stay at 20, but I branching my thoughts to other bike brands now :D , heaven help me.. :facepalm:

I increased and decreased my collection from 2 to ~20 projects and back a few times over the last 10 years for different reasons like lack off space/money/time/interest.
The last cycle is happening right now, went back to 5 project and 1 complete bike now. Will sell a few more projects and build up two till I have 3 retro rides and two modern.
I find myself spending way to much time reading about and searching for parts. It finaly occured to me that the lesser bikes I own, the more peace I get and time I take to enjoy them riding.
That might be going on with you too.

Jamis Diablo":xehfest0 said:
I increased and decreased my collection from 2 to ~20 projects and back a few times over the last 10 years for different reasons like lack off space/money/time/interest.
The last cycle is happening right now, went back to 5 project and 1 complete bike now. Will sell a few more projects and build up two till I have 3 retro rides and two modern.
I find myself spending way to much time reading about and searching for parts. It finaly occured to me that the lesser bikes I own, the more peace I get and time I take to enjoy them riding.
That might be going on with you too.

Yes you have a point, and I think I need to cut it down a bit.. Although tonight I have just bought a Marin:facepalm: :D :shock:
However, reflecting what you have said I have 2 unfinished Orange builds, a 93 Prestige and 93 Clockwork, which I have decided to sell, and maybe one other. Just simply because I prefer my earlier Orange bikes, and I would like to de clog my mind from so many ongoing projects!

Back