Anyone else found their retroness has waned.....?!

legrandefromage":1hef70ug said:
Its just occurred to me I have built and owned (even if its for only  few days) some 2-3000 bicycles since 1986.

Seriously!!?!?!?!? :shock:

Still assuming it is the lower estimate of 2,000, that is around 4 bikes every 3 weeks - if you are in the trade and buy sell bikes and your middle name is Halford then it shouldn't really count.

02gf74":4jbttnfx said:
legrandefromage":4jbttnfx said:
Its just occurred to me I have built and owned (even if its for only  few days) some 2-3000 bicycles since 1986.

Seriously!!?!?!?!? :shock:

Still assuming it is the lower estimate of 2,000, that is around 4 bikes every 3 weeks - if you are in the trade and buy sell bikes and your middle name is Halford then it shouldn't really count.

This IS LGF we are talking about ' The Bike finder general' ;)

Re:

I also think it's a seasonal thing. I'm inspired to ride all year round, but mostly when the weather's crap I'll just get some miles in on my modern Trek Domane most weekends. However the restoring and building of retro mtbs (mostly) definitely takes a back seat. Just can't be bothered trying to fettle in the cold and dark. As long as I have something to ride when I can that's fine. Projects can wait til the spring. I don't think I'd ever lose the retro love, I like the connection to a really enjoyable period of my life too much. Lastly, I have to say this: I've been a member of many online forums in the last 10-12 years, mostly car related, but Retrobike is the only one I keep coming back to. I may not look at it for months, but it never fails to pull me back in eventually.

Regards

Marge

Re:

Thanks for all the replies, comments and suggestions guys, I've taken it all on board, and yes, the time of year doesn't help. Trouble is, even back in the spring and summer I wasn't getting out at all, although I was fettling a lot as relaxation, but work, illness, etc, etc, meant I didn't have the inclination to dig out all the kit for me and the bike and organise myself enough to have a ride out somewhere.

But I except a rest from it all, maybe a change of hobby, will probably renew my enthusiasm when I do come back to it. I think in reality, a lot of us don't get to ride anywhere near as often as we would like to, and the dedicated quite often pick a modern bike to ride when they do, but this hobby is about more than riding, it's about researching the history and then keeping it alive.

A bit like brass rubbing, only more interesting...... :LOL: :LOL:

I get it, for me it comes and goes. Its away at the moment. I still ride a bit but other things in life are more important, and so they should be, family, earning a living etc. The crack I found in the Manitou FS, tho not a shock, did knock my enthusiasm a couple of years back, she was sent to FTW and just needs me to pay postage and bring her back but with xmas and a double storey extension and a impending tax bill funds are very tight. My climbing is more important than biking, takes less of my time and resources and being in the relative flat suburbs I'd actually rather spend a day with my kids than miss them for full days at a time.

I love the swish of the automatic doors - hitchhikers guide.

Re:

Being down with flu for the 3rd week in a row, plus with the freezing temperatures and dark nights, I no longer have the energy or inclination to have anything to do with bikes. There's nothing like riding 33 rain lashed kilometres in night time rush hour gridlock to kill the bike love. Hopefully, this will all change once we're past the sales and the enforced jollities of the xmas works do nonsense, and when the day light hours start getting longer again. Good luck to all those who've lost their will – hope you can rekindle your retro groove.

I haven't been really active in well over a year, only get the odd ride in and not bought anything bike related in that time. Spent most time (probably about 15 rides in total) between my Raleigh team 531 and Modern Kona Kula this year, haven't ridden the Muddyfox or Claud Butler at all this year and only ridden my Peugeot Roadie twice since i got it 2 years ago. No plans for selling anything though as I have enough space.
I'm finding the skating and DJ'ing roller discos is taking my time up along with a return to lawnmower racing after a year out means biking comes a distant 3rd place in hobby stakes.
Since I moved jobs in the middle of 2015 I lost my brilliant 10 mile off road commute (it would now be a 24 mile road slog) meaning I have to go out just to ride rather than naturally having a ride 3x a week. I have put on weight and lost fitness for sure.
We have pencilled in a long distance tour for 2018 (similar to the way of the roses we did in 2014) and I'll need to train for it but I can't see much riding on the horizon until then unless my boys really get the bug next summer (they have shown sparks of interest already so it's possible).

Back