Wheelbuilding question

michael franks

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've read about spoke washers but I've never used them or discovered them when dismantling a wheel. One washer goes between the nipple and the rim and another goes between the elbow and the hub flange. What do all you experienced wheelbuilders think of them? Do they make a much better wheel? Are they just for the really high end boutique wheels? Do they make it easier to build a wheel? Or are they just for those 700c x 23mm users on the dark side?
All information greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re:

If you have hubs with big size spoke holes or spokes that do not fully rest in the hole you can use the washers to prevent the spokehead from breaking. The bad fitting could cause extra stress on the neck, the rings make sure theres a good and even contact surface.

I use the nipple rings on low quality single wall aluminium rims , they will prevent the rim from cracking at the hole.

I've never had to use them on high quality parts, but I could see me using the spoke head nipple if I would build a wheel with very thin spokes.

Re: Re:

There you go then..the answer is to buy compatible parts and no cheap crap! :D

bartsince1975":2mj8dduq said:
If you have hubs with big size spoke holes or spokes that do not fully rest in the hole you can use the washers to prevent the spokehead from breaking. The bad fitting could cause extra stress on the neck, the rings make sure theres a good and even contact surface.

I use the nipple rings on low quality single wall aluminium rims , they will prevent the rim from cracking at the hole.

I've never had to use them on high quality parts, but I could see me using the spoke head nipple if I would build a wheel with very thin spokes.

Re:

Never heard of, and obviously never used.. i mostly build 26" mtb wheels with 2.0 mm spokes and the fitting is always super snug in the flange.. 1.8mm spokes in hubs where 2.0 mm spokes been before is also tight enough.. I have come across cracks going out from the spoke hole in rims though.. a washer could help here I guess.. never had this problem with quality rims though, and building a wheel right, this won't happen.. good luck

On some low end spokes the neck can be too long, in this case the ring will simply fill the gap. Again a sollution for crappy components.

It can be useful on rims with no eyelets. Stans for example or some carbon rims like them.

Back