Converting an old steel frame to run disc brakes

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have a project I'd like to get done over the winter (well 2 actually). The plan is to get two frames powder coated in white and then let the kids paint/draw on the blank canvas before clear coating.

Before I do this, I'm wondering if I should contemplate having disc tabs welded? For one frame (an alpine stars that looks a bit like a trimble), my reasoning is that it's for my wife. She's not too tall and I'm trying to build a bike for her that she will actually use and is comfortable. standout height and the ability to get on/off easily is paramount so the thinking behind disc brakes is that I could run 24 inch wheels to make the small frame yet smaller. Obviously if I go down this route v or canti brakes won't work, but are there any considerations/issues I need to take account of if I attempt running smaller wheels?

The other frame is a saran killi e-stay. No real logic behind the conversion on this one other than I can, and if I do, it needs to be done before painting.

Anyone used anyone to do this type of conversion? What kind of money would I be looking at to get it done? Cost is a cosiderstion as I've not for much £ but would like to get these bikes ready for next year as the kids are getting into riding and I want to at least get the bike for my wife built up and ready for next year. The other is really for me wanting something unique I can involve my kids in building. I'm not ruling out a full retro build (will make a change for me as I like retro-mod builds it seems), but as I'm considering one frame, I thought I may as well consider both before making as decision.

Any thoughts/advice/opinions on either gratefully received?

It is indeed a t26 steel frame with strange headset arrangement that I think will be able to run a q 1/8 semi integrated headset.

Re:

Just wondering if it might not be easier to move the brake mounts to accommodate a 24" wheel, not sure of the date on these frames but found the T24 in the 91' catalogue which means 7 speed spacing on the rear, most disk wheels will be 8 speed and those hefty stays don't look like they would cold set too well :?: ;)

as a guideline, Argos cycles charge £60 labour to fit a disc mount. Parts prices are dependent on what fitment is needed

Re:

I'm planning on doing my Sunn over the winter. Make my own tabs, braze 'em on with an additional strut between seatstay and chainstay.

Tab placing is down to the IS documentation, a bit tricksy to find but once you have it the actual placement is easy; make up a triangular template, fit it, work out how your tabs need to look, put them in place (by bolting them to the template), braze.

Check a disk will run in your frame before starting, obviously. It would be a bugger to grind off your brake bosses, braze on tabs, and then find you can't actually run a disk...

Back