Much love for HardRocks?

Kell

Retro Guru
When I was at my mate's the other weekend, i noticed they had a Hard Rock hanging up in the garage.

Don't know much about it, wasn't until after I'd left that I'd even thought about asking if they'd sell it. But are they worth much?

It's had an easy life.

I can't remember in my head if it's pink/yellow fade or pink/purple. Didn't think to take any pics, but i texted him to see:

a) if he'd think about selling
b) if yes, then get some snaps and I'd see if anyone was interested here.

So, would it be worth it?

Re: Much love for Hard Rocks?

I quite like the early Hardrock but in monetary terms they achieve very little even in mint condition they tend to struggle past the £100 mark.

Cheers.

His isn't mint, but that's probably about £100 more than he thinks it's worth.

Your probably talking at a guess around about the £60 mark if it's in good working order with faded paint and a few scratches ..

My first MTB was a Raleigh Mustang which got stolen so I then bought a Hardrock Comp in 1989. It was a revelation compared to the Mustang! I sold it in the mid nineties to a work colleague who liked it & pestered me to sell it.

Fast forward 20 years and I'd forgotten all about it until I was bored at work one day & thought I'd do a google search on old bikes I used to own. Low and behold there was a Hardrock for sale identical to the one I used to have so I snapped it up for old times sake. The ride was just how I remembered, really smooth, and the gears changed with a nice solid precise feel to them.

Since then I've got the retro MTB bug & now own 4 Specialized from 1988 & 89. (Hardrock, Rockhopper & 2 Stumpjumpers).

I don't think there is that much love for the Hardrocks on here, as they are probably a bit 'low end' to most but I love mine! Here it is:

2016-01-292015.09.58.jpg

This one didn't have skinwalls, so I don't know how that helps date it.

Pretty sure it might be pink/purple with yellow lettering, rather than the pink/white like above.

specializedbike.jpg

My first decent mountain bike was a '94 Hardrock FS, and it did well filling my need for a useable bike on a budget. Did my first group rides, commuted year 'round, my first lift serviced DH day on it.

Pretty sure it's still in my childhood home's basement.

My now wife bought a '97 Hardrock AX, which served as a light-use steed until about 2014 when she decided to get fit and really began cycling. It morphed thru a few iterations as we kept it up to her newfound passion for the sport, finally ended up looking like this:

It's since been replaced with a new Jett Expert, but comes out for a ride from time to time.

There's some love for Hardrocks, but getting cash from them is harder!

J

I love the way the old HardRock's look and i remember seeing one of the parents at the school i was picking my granddaughters up from back in 2013 with that year's HardRock Disc model and thinking i'd really like one of them which was a bit weird for me seen as i'd had no interest in modern bikes since the early noughtie's ..

Solid well made bikes. From memory they were a bit better than a Muirwoods or Talera, on a par with Hahanna. Nothing special but good workhorses.

Back