Noob Q.. Headsets...

Sparrow

Devout Dirtbag
Hi guys, as some of you know I am 100% noob at old MTB's. My latest acquisition is almost ready to visit stripper/painter. But the nice chromey headset "collars" at top and bottom of the steerer-tube, and the one on the fork.. How do they come off? Should they be free and loose? And if they are not? Bit late to go and take photos, but I could if needed..

Re:

If you google "remove headset cup" and "remove crown race" you'll find the right tricks and tools. It's an easy job and with the right tools all parts will be useable again after painting the frame.

Re:

They are a tight push fit, although there's probably a better term for it.
Need to be knocked out with a headset removal tool (like a sprung split bit of pipe), or you can actually make one from a split bit of copper pipe, or carefully use a screwdriver and tap with a hammer.
All methods knock out from the inside lip.
For the fork crown, again there are proper tools, but typically I tap with a hammer on a screwdriver.

Thank you all! So they are merely an "interference fit" and need only some gentle encouragement.. Excellent news! IDK if the headset is orig, or very good but it works perfectly and looks nice so would be a shame to wreck it just to get it off...

The Canadian(?) Boy-child on You tube is very annoying but I appreciate his advice and expertise. A flared copper pipe and a mallet is next weekend's little-by-little project. It would be bloody awful if I got this finished and ready to ride a) before winter had truly set in Or b) before next Spring had truly arrived. Ar (as we say in Essex) se. Easy peasy. Thanks again..

Back