Stuck Seatpost Vs Slide Hammer

Sparrow":tsn7u3j7 said:
I like this thread v much. Is there a "Sticky" section?
Cheers! Wouldn't know how to make it a sticky tbh, think it's a moderator thing!

Thers are a few good ideas for stuck seatposts on here other than my method, the freeze spray looks a good one for saving the frame and the seatpost.

yagamuffin":2rwgkes1 said:
Sorry for being stupid but how does it work? I'm reading and looking at the photos but I cannot make it out :?
I really haven't got the time at the moment to explain further, perhaps try typing "slide hammer" into Youtube, there's got to be something on there, another application perhaps but it'll give you a rough idea.

weeman_mtb":2cshct9t said:
yagamuffin":2cshct9t said:
Sorry for being stupid but how does it work? I'm reading and looking at the photos but I cannot make it out :?
I really haven't got the time at the moment to explain further, perhaps try typing "slide hammer" into Youtube, there's got to be something on there, another application perhaps but it'll give you a rough idea.

I really should have done that before posting!
Bingo! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3ek2GeZzE0

Re:

Wow great link, didn't know that was on there!

I've never thought of just pulling on the clamp part, mind you I reckon in a lot of cases you'd just pull that part out the seatpost.

Re:

Bought a little Gary Fisher from the car boot sale on Sunday, a future bike for my youngest perhaps, with a very stuck seatpost :D .

Having seen that Youtube clip I've had a bit of a think on how to get a seatpost out without scrapping it. The guy on Youtube uses a chain and I've already had a go at replicating that set up but it's a bit of a faff to use. So I came up with the ring idea as pictured below, one 12mm hole at the top to bolt to the slide hammer and four 8mm tapped holes at different points on the bottom end to give a few options to bolt the seatpost to. The idea is to get the seatpost and the slide hammer in the same plane to make sure none of that upwards momentum is wasted. The photo might explain things better.....

So I removed the clamping hardware from the top of the seatpost bolted the ring on and then the slide hammer complete with a whopping 2.3kg lump of steel to do the bashing with.

I have to be honest after a lot of bashing this thing hadn't really shifted, perhaps a fraction of a mm of rusty seatpost was now out. I gave up that evening and lost a little faith in the slide hammer method. I've lent The History Man my other slide hammer kit and as far as I know he hasn't budged his seatpost with it, perhaps the bond between some seatposts and frames is just too much. I sprayed some Plusgas on (which I'd done for three days running) and left it alone for the night.

Next evening with renewed determination not to let this bugger beat me I had another go. I sat myself on the back tyre and really gave it some welly, two hands on the weight and making use of the full stroke to maximise the blow.

The result - well it's out and the top hasn't come off or moved meaning that the seatpost is ok to use again should I wish to. It's hard to gauge how stuck this seatpost was compared to others (I know a couple of people on here haven't shifted theirs with a slide hammer recently) but I've done three in the last month and this was the most stuck by some way. Pretty surprising really as that's not a huge amount of insertion, perhaps the 27.2mm was forced in because a 27.0mm is a nicer fit imo.

Today I've made a solid version of the ring at work, although the ring is pretty tough there's the chance it might be aborbing some of the energy by stretching a touch on impact.

Hope this might help someone who's thinking of having a go at this, here's some of the most shocking quality photos that I've posted so far......

Attachments

• Seatpost 03.JPG
    Seatpost 03.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 547
  • Seatpost 02.JPG
    Seatpost 02.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 546
  • Seatpost 01.JPG
    Seatpost 01.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 547
The History Man":xlo58zge said:
200mm of unmovement here still.

Nice development though.
Just pm'd you before I've read this.

It's got to be better than the chain "thingy" I sent you even though I never had the chance to try it!

Back