Stuck Seatpost Vs Slide Hammer

That's brilliant.

Did you plusgas soak it first? That might have made it a little easier.

Re:

Thanks for the comments folks will try to answer a few of the replies now.

coomber - I didn't use it myself but there was evidence of some wet oily stuff about half way down the part of the post that was stuck, I think that may have been from Andy's attempt at removal. To be honest I just wanted to get my slide hammer out for a play ASAP, it's been waiting for this for a couple of months!

Eche Beach - I was going to send you a link to this thread but looks like you found it by yourself. Thanks again for the frame, will make good use of it but I'm undecided on the build at the moment.

REKIBorter - Thanks for that link, not decided on cantis or Vs for this yet, might just get one in stock anyway.

LittleSkink - I'll weigh it and get back to you.

paddlingpool - Yes all made by myself in my "spare" time at work.

Think that's everyone's questions covered. If anyone's got a stuck seatpost and is around my neck of the woods you're welcome to come and have a bash. I'd also be happy to bring it along to any rides I go to, think the Peaks will be my next, all being well.

Re:

I also used a slide hammer to remove a badly rusted seatpost from an old steel Schwinn frame:

- I rented a slide hammer kit from the auto parts store ($0.00 - you "buy" it, then get a full refund when you return it).

- I had my neighbor weld a nut to the top of the seatpost for the slide hammer to thread into.

- I hung the frame upside down from the steel support beam in my basement so that I was pulling the seatpost out with gravity to help me. It did the trick!

Britain on a Sunday afternoon ringing with a thousand slide hammers and a thousand stuck seatposts. Ebay flooded with frames that havent been seen for years...

Re:

I can imagine the scene now, the mrs brings a cup of tea out to the shed and as she nears the door starts to hear a series of grunts, she looks through the foggy plastic window to see her loved ones arm going up and down rather rather profusely, she shouts "what on earth are you doing?" I doubt the reply "it's ok love I'm pulling my slide hammer" will put her mind at ease :LOL:

Re: Re:

KDM":335q5chp said:
I can imagine the scene now, the mrs brings a cup of tea out to the shed and as she nears the door starts to hear a series of grunts, she looks through the foggy plastic window to see her loved ones arm going up and down rather rather profusely, she shouts "what on earth are you doing?" I doubt the reply "it's ok love I'm pulling my slide hammer" will put her mind at ease :LOL:
Don't like to brag about these things but mine's got a 15" stroke....it's all over in about 25 pulls though :)

@ LittleSkink, it weighs just short of 1.4kg, that's a shade over 3 lbs according to Google.

legrandefromage":335q5chp said:
Britain on a Sunday afternoon ringing with a thousand slide hammers and a thousand stuck seatposts. Ebay flooded with frames that havent been seen for years...
Oops, no more Karma frames with stuck seatposts, should have kept me mouth shut!

Re: Re:

weeman_mtb":2lhnuyyh said:
Thanks for the comments folks will try to answer a few of the replies now.

coomber - I didn't use it myself but there was evidence of some wet oily stuff about half way down the part of the post that was stuck, I think that may have been from Andy's attempt at removal. To be honest I just wanted to get my slide hammer out for a play ASAP, it's been waiting for this for a couple of months!

Eche Beach - I was going to send you a link to this thread but looks like you found it by yourself. Thanks again for the frame, will make good use of it but I'm undecided on the build at the moment.

REKIBorter - Thanks for that link, not decided on cantis or Vs for this yet, might just get one in stock anyway.

LittleSkink - I'll weigh it and get back to you.

paddlingpool - Yes all made by myself in my "spare" time at work.

Think that's everyone's questions covered. If anyone's got a stuck seatpost and is around my neck of the woods you're welcome to come and have a bash. I'd also be happy to bring it along to any rides I go to, think the Peaks will be my next, all being well.

Latest posts

Back