Rocky Mountain Hammer Race rebuild

cdn-dave

Retro Newbie
I'm giving my wife's Rocky Mountain Hammer race and update with disk brakes, 1x11 drivetrain and a paintjob. I think it's a '97 - can anyone help confirm?

So far I've got the disk tabs welded on, the frame painted, and parts on order.

I took apart the Judy fork but not sure if there are parts missing - it doesn't seem to match either '97 or '98 manuals...

The one bumper is split, what else do you think is missing?

Thanks for the help!

cheers,
dave

Attachments

• IMG_1577 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1577 (Medium).JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 942
  • IMG_1327 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1327 (Medium).JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 942
  • IMG_1275 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1275 (Medium).JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 939
  • IMG_1420 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1420 (Medium).JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 942
Re:

Thanks!
Any recommendations where to find a replacement stop? Or perhaps improvise with some other chunk of rubber?

Re: 1998 Judy T2 rebuild

Looks like some of the parts are in the wrong order (bumper should be at the bottom) and some parts are missing (wavy washer).

Thanks for the catalog link. I had the 1998 Judy catalog, but without the T2 specifically.

Re:

Do you mean the slightly damaged black bumper in the top rod?

They are used as top out and/or bottom out bumpers. Not the most important of them. I would probably leave it for now.

But usually had from other people form old forks. Hi may want to look at some better forks or at least one with an oil damper.

I guess a bit of improvise rubber/elastomer will work though.

Oh you may find the other bumper for the other side in the lower legs. One is toobut one is bottom out, both sides are different.

Just a follow-up on the build - couldn't find new top- or bottom-out bumpers for the fork anywhere, so wound up just using a stack up rubber washers made from an inner tube:

I was on a roll with mods so took a hacksaw to the XT crank since I'm converting to a 1x11:

And jump ahead to the finished Hammer Race 2.0!

Afterwards to make space I put the original wheels up for sale, saying the tires and cassette were free. I was offered 20CHF for the 20-year old WTB Velociraptors! I gave the wheels to a buddy who wanted them for his Rocky Mountain Thin Air.

Attachments

• IMG_1447 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1447 (Small).JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_1316 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1316 (Small).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 772
  • IMG_1982 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1982 (Small).JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 772
Back