Components for Strong Riders

Big_Jon_93

Dirt Disciple
Hello

This isn't a question about retro stuff as much. I got a modern mountain bike (I got a retro racing bike). I was just wondering if any other people who use modern components could recommend a manufacture that make strong but long lasting components. I have tried dirt cheap and resonable pricey components but end up breaking them or wearing them down at a excessive rate. It just be nice to be recommended a manufacture or product range were they are strong, but don't need replacing every 3 months.

Regards

Jon

Dont oil the chain until its a greasy black mess - this attracts dirt and turn the lubricating oil into a grinding paste, prematurely wearing components.

Don't aim for the topmost groupsets and bits... Aim 1 or 2 levels below - The top spec kit is often ultra-lightweight, sacrificing everything for raceday. A level below, XT rather than XTR, for instance, gives you all the function of the top kit with just a bit more meat for durability.

Then, maintain it. Bikes need SOME attention after almost every ride. If it makes a noise, figure out why and silence it. Noise = destruction.

JMHO.

J

Re:

While I agree XT is sufficient, older XTR is certainly up to heavy duty use.

STX is actually pretty damn hardcore. I wouldn't hesitate to run that.

Keeping things well adjusted and lubed is probably the most important thing, but speccing things like rims and such with all mountain kit rather than xc makes sense if you are happy to sacrifice a little extra weight for better durability.

Latest posts

Back