How difficult is it to find 1" ahead stuff for MTB....??

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I've *something* on the way to me soon that will just be a really cheap rat bike, but it's 1" threaded set up at the mo, and I can't stand any of these converters, threaded stems, etc....maybe I could learn to love it , but.....

How hard is it now to get hold of the bits to make it ahead, to my mind that's going to mean: forks, new headset, 1" spacers, and a 1" ahead stem....?

And of course I want super cheap and very lightweight :LOL: :LOL:

LikeClockwork":lmimvs5o said:
I've *something* on the way to me soon that will just be a really cheap rat bike, but it's 1" threaded set up at the mo, and I can't stand any of these converters, threaded stems, etc....maybe I could learn to love it , but.....

How hard is it now to get hold of the bits to make it ahead, to my mind that's going to mean: forks, new headset, 1" spacers, and a 1" ahead stem....?

And of course I want super cheap and very lightweight :LOL: :LOL:

I run 1" Ahead on both my Orange X1's and didnt have too many issues, admitedly i did find two Orange Ahead Stems and a couple of Ritchey Threadless 1" Headsets on ebay for peanuts. I also had 1" Steerer on my Proflex, which used seperate Ahead Stem on one and a built in Stem on the other both Control Tech though. Both Pace Forks on my Oranges had 1" Steerers & Shims fitted by Tim (justbackdated / fork english)

Re:

Hadn't thought of eBay for some reason...... :facepalm:

A quick perusal brings up a fair bit of stuff, including some quite fancy headsets for very little dosh. Presumably looking at road stuff of the era is worthwhile too, weren't they all 1" ahead at some point...?

Re:

Road bike stuff and just use threaded as you can still get it. Saves buying all the other stuff and is easy to do.
Try planetX etc
Modernish road stuff if probably tougher than our old stuff ;-)

Re:

I run a 1" BBB TurnAround threadless headset (£25 ish) on my P7 (fork is Pace RC-36 with a 1 inch steerer) which are easy enough to pick up online - never had any probs at all with it :D

I also bought a stem shim (about £3 ish) to use a 1 1/8" ahead stem which really opens up your options as the 1 inch ahead stems really are thin on the ground unfortunately :?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
i would say fork would probably be the only real challenge, and vary between rigid and suspension. the rest are fairly easy to come by.

Back