Valuation of Trek Y22

nickstibbs

Retro Newbie
Have a Trek Y22 which rides fine but does have some isssues - front wheel cartridge bearings need replacing. Drive-train is worn. Frame has no cracks or damage apart from surface scuffs. Is it worth taking apart and selling frame and/or working part separately?

Re:

To be honest NO its not

They were built with a Unified Rear Triangle and whilst it worked it was an evolutionarily dead end as other designs worked better and rear suspension is still evolving even today....

As much as I like URTs my Orange X1 or Schwinn (see signature below) and all other names /brands sporting the same arse end are pretty much worthless, and made worse by the shite catalogue brands and Walmart $75 dollar bikes sporting the URT design over the past 15 years.

Sometimes time can cruel or very kind to designs or brands but trust me it will never be Iconic, infact quite the reverse and like I've said I rate them its just 99.9% of folk don't ! Infact I don't think alot of folk could get excited enough to even respond to your question :D

Re:

I have to disagree with Retro Spud and say yes, it is worth stripping and splitting. Despite the design limitations Y22s are still a saught after frame. Cleaned up with a good advert and you could get a decent price.

Re: Re:

yagamuffin":2g68uycv said:
I have to disagree with Retro Spud and say yes, it is worth stripping and splitting. Despite the design limitations Y22s are still a sought after frame. Cleaned up with a good advert and you could get a decent price.

Go for it, I guess you have nothing to loose and everything to gain,
and I mean that, I like the design and they aways draw a second look when out on the trails.

Keep us posted as to what you decide.

Back