I love wheelbuilding part II

Gaddmeister

Retrobike Rider
Well here I go Again! Taking note of past comments, let's see what happens. :D

Attachments

• 20161022_011523-480x853.jpg
    20161022_011523-480x853.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 447
Isn't the rim on the wrong way round? Looks like the left hand spokes on the hub are going into the right hand spoke holes on the rim

Re:

Good to see people like wheelbuilding, so do I. But it's getting harder every day to find experienced wheelbuilders. Robots are taking ovr and for the masses they are doing a great job, but I like the handycraft: So please continue and after 500 more you'll be an expert. :D

Local wheelbuilder tip #78
Our local builder, if things are busy, can sometimes ask you to sit outside and lace it yourself (with a bit of instruction) During one such there was the instruction to place your thumb over end of spoke when moving it through the wheel/other spokes. It prevents accidental scratching on the rims inner face ;)

Re:

Robots and dealership maintenance packages but then most LBS and chain bike stores probably rely on business from servicing the bikes of the masses. I do though think that it's important to preserve the craft skills and mechanical knowledge – every self-respecting cyclist should be able to fix most things on their own bike, with wheel building being the zenith of ability. Obviously, frame building would be a level above that. Carry on but make sure those logos are aligned!

Did you oil your nipples with natural linseed first? ;)

Groovy

Back