Kirk Precision MTB / Ranger?

Do you guys take a mind reading course when you get to about a thousand posts? (re the frame)

I had a cannondale fat tubed mtb bitd.
I was just thinking about that.

What do you mean by disc wheels?
Disc as in solid wheels? Or do you mean disc brakes?
I don't fancy either of those. Disc brakes wouldn't go on either would they?

Or is it something different?
Do you mean 26" or 700c?

*confused yet still really excited*

I was going to put my (short) bike history in my signature but it turns out you need to have 30 postings first.
*considers making loads of posts on random threads*

disc brakes..

just that in this for instance, you could run regular mtb 26 wheels OR 700c road wheels...29er or 650b and just easily change the wheel as you dont have to work about wacky issues with rim brakes. Just a thought and could be done with any disc brake frame.

Just tossing ideas, I'd also say since you seem to be mentioing stiff and ight, I'd say not steel, aluminium. Nothing against steel, just for those two components, alminium would maybe easer and cheaper to get if going retro.

My tourer is based on a 26" MTB (Marin Palisades) - weight-wise it's lighter than a Dawes Galaxy. The advantages are that it has a huge choice in tyre sizes from 25mm all the way to 2.3".
Hybrids seem to me neither one thing nor the other - too fragile for anything worse than a gravel track, too upright for long distances, not significantly faster than an MTB on tyres of similar tread.

agree... I never really got hybrids. If your coming from non cycling and don't really understand, think road bike too much hard core, mtb too much off road..get it then when you figure it out, go either way. But if you are already a cyclist, then a hybrid is nothing, it not inbetween because you can make a roadie or mtb get to the in between point.

T'boo Ted":pwvi493u said:
disc brakes..

just that in this for instance, you could run regular mtb 26 wheels OR 700c road wheels...29er or 650b and just easily change the wheel as you dont have to work about wacky issues with rim brakes. Just a thought and could be done with any disc brake frame.

oh, I see, that is a REALLY good thought.
I was kind of going with disc brakes being a newer thing. (Having only got them myself a couple of years ago :D )
I shall look into that.

I think the aluminium thought is also good.
I did like my fat tube cannondale.

hamster":pwvi493u said:
My tourer is based on a 26" MTB (Marin Palisades) - weight-wise it's lighter than a Dawes Galaxy. The advantages are that it has a huge choice in tyre sizes from 25mm all the way to 2.3".
Hybrids seem to me neither one thing nor the other - too fragile for anything worse than a gravel track, too upright for long distances, not significantly faster than an MTB on tyres of similar tread.

Excellent, thanks for that.
I used to drool over Marins at the time. They looked great.

Thanks for this gents, this is great stuff.

Seems to me something like a 93-95 era Marin Eldridge Grade or Pine Mountain would fit the bill. Possibly a Kona Kilauea or similar of the same vintage. Maybe even an Orange Prestige or P7.

None of those need break the bank, and all will give a great ride on and off the road. I doubt any of them will weigh more than 12kg too.

It's an odd one but the higher-end frames are often less suitable. The lighter gauge frame tubing tends to make then squirm more with rack loads. They also have longer top tubes than the humbler models, which makes them less amenable to things like drop bars.

Latest posts

Back