Another day another problem

FluffyChicken":1y0ltpad said:
apart from it's a road bottom bracket and there is no space for an e-type mech.

Are you suggesting that the correct tools for the job should be used? As there seems to be reluctance to use the right parts, just making suggestions :D

Re:

I've done a google image search and it looks like there are other MCM2 frames using clamp on mechs so I'm going to try that route for simplicity. Ordered a top pull top swing m952

ishaw":22ihagmw said:
FluffyChicken":22ihagmw said:
apart from it's a road bottom bracket and there is no space for an e-type mech.

Are you suggesting that the correct tools for the job should be used? As there seems to be reluctance to use the right parts, just making suggestions :D

There is no reluctance to use the right parts, the issue is finding the parts available and for a right price. People seem to be taking the p1ss asking stupid unreasonable prices for parts on eBay. I replaced my bottom bracket with one 0.5mm shorter than the one removed, that's identical in every other way to the XTR. The other issues encountered are not due to using any wrong parts but are unforeseen due to shimano making the group set incompatible with older parts.

Just having a bit of fun, no offence meant.

With the prices of XTR BB's I have done the same in the past as mentioned before, though even now I think the price of a V1 road BB is on the up.

Strange that Giant went down that front mech clamp route, kind of limits front mech options, especially as there is a perfectly good tube to clamp a conventional mech to. Unless of course there was a reason for it? Be interesting to know. I had a carbon cadex which was a great bike and I fitted a normal XTR clamped front mech to it and had no issues, so hopefully it will be fine for you.

IMG_2892.jpg

My only problem with the Top-Swing mech is that the clamp is below to level with the front part of the rear plate, looking at your picture that doesn't look very round. But that could be the picture. Do you have some nice pics of the bike.

I know my mate switch to a band mech from a bottom bracket mount, but used normal clamp iirc

One of these frame (note e-type mount hole nobody uses)
s-l1600.jpg

Re:

I think once the bike is finished I will strip it back down and send it off to be repainted. Spent a small fortune so far on it and it would be a shame not to complete it.

Re:

My 2007 Giant XTC came with a standard, clamp on front mech.

There are a lot of similarities between the frames:

XtC%20Composite%20FF%2008.jpg

Re: Re:

Matt70":1vk217iv said:
Just an idle thought on your issue.

Is it worth trying a 'road specific' triple front mech such as an Ultegra 6500 model?. They were for 9 speed set ups and the outer chainring on a road bike is normally over fifty teeth.

Although i'll add the caveat that the braze-on position may be higher on road frames to compensate for the larger chainring, but it might be worth a try?.

Road front mechs have a different actuation ratio.

Re: Re:

cce":1k9nfgkx said:
Matt70":1k9nfgkx said:
Just an idle thought on your issue.

Is it worth trying a 'road specific' triple front mech such as an Ultegra 6500 model?. They were for 9 speed set ups and the outer chainring on a road bike is normally over fifty teeth.

Although i'll add the caveat that the braze-on position may be higher on road frames to compensate for the larger chainring, but it might be worth a try?.

Road front mechs have a different actuation ratio.

Now you've gone & opened a can of worms :? :LOL: .
Sora 8 speed brifters work with Xtr front mechs without any mods. :D

Back