Anyone ride without a stem cap?

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Ok, I may sound a complete f-wit, but I'll ask anyway.

Once an ahead headset is adjusted, do you need the top cap on it still?
Why? I have two Syncros stems, but one top cap. I could swap between bikes, but do I need to?

Could use the hole for storing Rolos then! :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

Re:

I see what you mean, once it's tightened down the stem should keep everything in place.
I don't see why you couldn't.
Personally I wouldnt, it'd bug the he'll out of me! Plus, if you were to have an unfortunate accident there's a small chance the open stem top might act like a cookie cutter to your man vegetables... most unpleasant. Same reason I always make sure there are end plugs fitted to my handlebars.

It works, and you don't need the topcap while riding.

But ... when I rode with a Syncros stem and no topcap (because I couldn't make up my mind to cut the steerer on a particular pair of forks) the headset would tend to develop a little play over the long term.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53086

That said, I rode it like that for at least a couple of years, including one HoNC.

So, you can do it, but it's nicer to have a topcap in place.

:LOL: i think you would only get 1 maybe 2 rolo's in there, more if you squashed them down but the chocolate would crumble off them :) if you had a longer steerer and used spacers to tighten the headset then in theory the skys the limit, literally :shock:

Mark

oh, i nearly forgot, yes you can ride without the top cap but the headset will loosen over time, best to have one, i think someone was selling one on here!?

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":3w4kyz6z said:
If I knocked the sfn down, I may get three in there! :LOL:
SFN?

:shock:

Where's your Wedge Lock?

2331126619_ecda621d84_b.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47378&start=40

Re:

Don't have one of those Jim, but I do have an angled spacer, designed to square off the top of the stem. Made by someone on here.

But I'd rather have the hole. For Polos, held in by the top cap! Excellent! :LOL: :LOL:

Shot glass maybe, but I don't drink those. Maybe fill it with chain lube? :LOL:

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2e8q0wlq said:
If I knocked the sfn down, I may get three in there! :LOL:

if your not using a top cap you might aswell take the sfn out, tighten the headset by hand and fit the whole pack in there :)

kingoffootball":2e8q0wlq said:
I'm pretty sure you could fit a shot glass in there.

glass :shock: straight from the bottle! thats what the bottle cages are for, the only problem is finding a square one for JD :)

Re:

What could possibly go wrong? :facepalm: :LOL: :LOL:

May as well put a broken bottle neck in there.

Or a guitar slide! :cool:

Back