retro bike spotted today.

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":29nya2n2 said:
Nice Roberts there – nice blue frame. The owner is taking a BIG risk leaving it unlocked outside a shop like that, particularly if they'd had it new from '88 – it could be gone in a second – kind of thing I have nightmares about with mine...

That's why the moment l spotted it I went out and watched it..... I'd be gutted if one of the local scrotes collecting their dope money hopped on it.

RBG

Re:

Seems a stupid risk to take, hope it's a one-off.

Back in the '80s/90s I found the best thing for security was to never use a lock - that way I'd ensure the bike wasn't ever unattended. It was surprising how tolerant lots of shops were of you taking it inside, as long as you were unassuming and appreciative. I'd pop my head in holding the bike in the doorway ''I'm really sorry but I don't have a lock and don't want to leave my bike...won't be a second..??'' Often the shopkeeper would come over to save going in, but it sometimes got parked behind a till in Sainsbury's or a reception desk. Used to take it on the bus too, when it was quiet.
Guess it's a very different world now.

Re: Re:

retrobikeguy":x2tmr8gx said:
groovyblueshed":x2tmr8gx said:
Nice Roberts there – nice blue frame. The owner is taking a BIG risk leaving it unlocked outside a shop like that, particularly if they'd had it new from '88 – it could be gone in a second – kind of thing I have nightmares about with mine...

That's why the moment l spotted it I went out and watched it..... I'd be gutted if one of the local scrotes collecting their dope money hopped on it.

RBG

I experienced a similar scenario back on page 6 here when I spotted this P7 http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;start=50 Being a sucker for anything Orange, I went to find the owner who was oblivious and browsing inside the charity shop.

Never leave mine outside anywhere. I'm either riding it or it's garaged at work, or seriously D-locked if I do go on a quick local shopping errand with it. Even then, I'm twitchy and keep checking on it. Basically, I never let it out of my sight on public outings.

Re:

Never see retro steel MTBs in Malaysia, they just weren't into it in those days. Well i should say 'almost never'.. I walked into my LBS today and noticed this fairly tatty 1992 Marin Palisades Trail in the customer service area having just got a new chain and maybe a basic service. Bike is complete with tacky side stand, a luggage rack and gear shifters with little round gauges to show the selected gear. Almost certainly an expat's bike who brought it over to Malaysia. Maybe a lady judging by the large and low saddle.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 603
Saw this nice 501 British Eagle at the university last week:

zaZAicNnsl4othdPUHeeJnVhDMxOMjb75BCFZaYlyeckw-15awf_iWBoLeTYXaFsFxlMufOx3tE2s0LHDGLe_8Wmbsi0C5-tregXn7KwWwlcE0c26i6o_WfuDOj_saIiobXB3_8vFA=w1592-h895-no

606":2eei94xe said:
Far from great, but gets points for colour coordinated lock, and a nice saddle.

I thought this had had a respray a while back, but after bothering to take a photograph and comparing, it looks like a different bike. Same place, so the owner must be a fan of Kirks.

Attachments

• IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 170
  • _0023194.JPG
    _0023194.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 170
Back